Anyone using multiple multi-FX units?

n9ne

• Members

So I'm using a Line 6 M13 (which I love), but there are times where I find myself wishing it had just one more effects block. I've considered picking up an M5, but a local pawn shop has a Digitech RP500 for $100, and I'm seriously thinking about picking it up, even if only for limited usage.

This got me to wondering...surely there are other people out there who are using two or more multi-FX units. I'm just wondering if you've discovered any cool ideas that couldn't be done with a single multi-FX unit, or if there are any potential issues I should watch out for?

• Members

Snap up that RP500. I picked up an RP250 for a paltry sum and it's got some really great sounds in it. For a cheap beginners multi-FX unit, it's got some superb sounds in it, some of which I suspect ended up in the Hardwire pedals. I'm currently using it as a stereo panner in an effects loop. The chain looks a little like this:

Dirt pedals-->loop pedal send-->Digitech RP250-->stereo outs back into the two Return jacks on the loop pedal-->Output A goes to a chorus pedal and then the amp, Output B goes direct to the amp.

I've also thrown in a Boss GT-3, Yamaha FX500, and some other rack units into the equation. Much cheapness and plenty of good sounds :) I'm going to kep an eye out for the RP500 though so I can combine more sounds together, as really the RP250 is limited in terms of what effects you can run together.

If Digitech had any sense, they'd make their own version of the M-series as personally I think the Digitech effects (mod, chorus, reverb, delay etc) beat the shit out of the Line 6 efforts.

• Members

I have an M9 and a Magicstomp, but rarely use them together. Modulation +/& delay after amp modeling & reverb can sound pretty cool sometimes. I kind of want to try a Boss GT-8 because you can do something ridiculous like 13 effects at once in any order...

• Members

I have an M9 and a Magicstomp, but rarely use them together. Modulation +/& delay after amp modeling & reverb can sound pretty cool sometimes. I kind of want to try a Boss GT-8 because you can do something ridiculous like 13 effects at once in any order...

I use the GT-3 for something similar. In pedalboard mode (ie. one scene open but each footswitch allocated to a pedal) I run mine with vibrato-panning-chorus-delay-reverb. If I put the amp modelling, preamps, EQ, distortion etc in there, it'd be at least 10 effects running at once.

Sold my latest M9 the other day, just popped the Magicstomp up on Ebay tonight. I think I'll keep the FX500 though.

• Members

It can get pretty ridiculous trying to configure that many effects.

• Members

This got me to wondering...surely there are other people out there who are using two or more multi-FX units. I'm just wondering if you've discovered any cool ideas that couldn't be done with a single multi-FX unit, or if there are any potential issues I should watch out for?

Some Multi-fx, like the Boss GT, let you put whatever (Multi-fx or stomp box) in a built-in loop and configure the effect chain in any order, including where the loop is.

I have a hard enough time trying to configure my GT-3 to ever consider combining it with another Multi-fx, though the GT does so much you really don't need to.

Any potential issues will depend on how you connect the Multi-fx's together, (1 into the other or a Looper) and what you're playing them through.

(you may lose stereo processing in the signal path)

It's probably more trouble than it's worth, IMO.

• Members

Some Multi-fx, like the Boss GT, let you put whatever (Multi-fx or stomp box) in a built-in loop and configure the effect chain in any order, including where the loop is.

I have a hard enough time trying to configure my GT-3 to ever consider combining it with another Multi-fx, though the GT does so much you really don't need to.

Any potential issues will depend on how you connect the Multi-fx's together, (1 into the other or a Looper) and what you're playing them through.

(you may lose stereo processing in the signal path)

It's probably more trouble than it's worth, IMO.

Hello my brother, we're the Last of the Mohicans.

I've been running a my M9 in mono into my GT-3 (stereo out to 2 amps). Yeah, it's a lot of crap to lug to a gig, but it's is a decent workingmans version of what guys like Gilmoure and the Edge are doing.

pedalboardwithm9611.jpg

Archived