Any reason why a TV stand couldn't be used as an amp stand?

gambit

• Members

i'm looking for cheap alternatives for my amp and some pedal sotrage to take up less space.

i'm currently using a chair for the amp, and a shoe rack for 'excess' pedals, so i'm thinking something like the below tv stand would raise my amp fairy high and give me loads of pedal storage in the corner of my room?

6103475iA66UC287490M.jpg

or no?

• Members

I did this for a little bit. I noticed some increased combo rattle, but that won't necessarily happen to you. I would build one. It's a really simple build and would be a billion times more stable than some particle board piece of {censored}, and possibly cheaper.

• Members

Or better, Ikea carries some billy extensions. They have ideal height for 1x12" combos and let you have all controlls in range. You can also store some guitar related things in it to tidy things up:

billy-aufsatzregal-braun__0115140_PE2683

• Members

not sure how putting an amp on surface that takes up approx the same amount of floor space

would save space.
in fact it takes even more more vertical space. you couldve otherwise enjoyed a poster or maybe a dirty calendar or something.

Because using something like a TV stand he would have the amp on top and shelves underneath for pedals etc...

This would take up less floor space than what he has currently (amp on a chair with a separate rack for storage/pedals etc.).

• Members

Should work fine. You might want to get some rubber or felt grommets for underneath so the amp doesn't slide around and/or vibrate.

I have 2 amps, one sits on a stool, which seems to work fine, the other has a dedicated amp stand that angles it up, and cost a whopping $30. Well worth it. Looks nice, and I like how it angles the speakers right at ear level. It's surprising how much difference that changes the sound. Once you get off axis with this amp (AC15) it really changes the tone. My Mustang III seems to have a wider soundstage, so it isn't as significant, but I might get a dedicated stand for it too. I do not like amps on the floor. I wouldn't listen to my audio system with the speakers on the floor, same with your guitar amp.

But I like your idea, use the other shelves for pedal storage, etc.

• Members

Because using something like a TV stand he would have the amp on top and shelves underneath for pedals etc...

This would take up less floor space than what he has currently (amp on a chair with a separate rack for storage/pedals etc.).

:whisper: I think it was a joke.

• Members

:whisper:
I think it was a joke.

no, not really. :lol:

i guess i dont feel the need to display unused pedals. youre unable to use any pedals on a shelf or stand. is he using the shelving as a subsitute for a pedalboard? maybe im just not undertanding this. no big deal, carry on.

• Members

no, not really.
:lol:

i guess i dont feel the need to display unused pedals. youre unable to use any pedals on a shelf or stand. is he using the shelving as a subsitute for a pedalboard? maybe im just not undertanding this. no big deal, carry on.

ah! well then.

i understand what he wants, a place to store pedals and something to get his amp off the ground a bit all in one unit.

• Members

I like this wire shelving stuff - it doesn't add any weird resonances that a box can introduce and you can get it in a variety of heights and widths:

groupshot1.jpg

I also use old speaker stands as I like having my combos up off the floor - gets the cabs resonating like drum shells.

• Members

I find that if I don't have them out to look at, they never get used. I've got guitars in their cases that haven't been played in over a year because I just plain forget I have them.

blogs_alzheimers_1449_683907_poll_x.jpg

• Members

no, not really.
:lol:

.. because if that amp was on a chair the legs would immediately make that space below the amp redunant. if i can move everything from the 2-tier 3-foot-long shoe rack underneath the amp i get more room. it's not so they're on show or anything, it'd just be practical to make use of that dead space currently underneath my amp.

• Members

Or better, Ikea carries some billy extensions. They have ideal height for 1x12" combos and let you have all controlls in range. You can also store some guitar related things in it to tidy things up:

billy-aufsatzregal-braun__0115140_PE2683

Damn, too narrow for rack gear.

Archived