Acoustic guitars tick me off.

mrweems

• Members

I'm looking at other options of the concept of "j45"

And every single company i look at has a base model that's aaaaalmost like it. But then you find the right specs. And then its all BAM + another $1000 to the price tag.

Why are acoustics so unrealisticly expensive?

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I hear ya weems, but look at it from this perspective:

When you consider what a professional-quality saxophone or trumpet go for...

Or when you consider what a nice electric guitar rig would run...

Acoustic prices don't look so bad, relatively.

• Members

try making one yourself, betcha you start to see why they cost what they cost. 600-1000 is a bargain imo, i got mine over 10 years ago and have logged countless hours on it and still love it - worth every penny imo.

• Members

Basically.

I want Dreadnaught.

Sitka top.

Mahogany back and sides.

Nothing fancy.

clear coat on top.

Bone nut and the works..

Badass tuners.

Taylor DN5 - $2,100

Larrivee D-05 - $1800

I " want " to spend $800-1000.

*oh and blueridge are the most gawdy mother {censored}ing acoustics i've ever seen. I really want to know what their design team were smoking, and are continuously smoking that they think that was a good decision. But yes they sound great.

• Members

look for an 00 or 000 style. unplugged you can hear the vocalist over the guitar (campfire/beach parties). plugged in you can eq it where you wouldn't be able to tell the difference. save the $

And that would be Martin?

I lust after a d28. and that's all i've really researched.

And to those preaching : specs over playability.

When i say specs, i want specific specs for a specific sound. I've played all the different variations of the Dreadnaught and i find to my ears the sitka/mahogany to be the most pleasing.

• Members

Epiphone Masterbilt AJ-500M

Larrivee D-03 (Sapele)

Taylor DN3 (Sapele)

Sapele sounds/looks pretty much identical to mahogany, although it's sometimes stripey looking.

Sapele makes me want to vomit. Lacks the warmth and oomph "real" mahogany gives.

• Members

Lacks the warmth and oomph "real" mahogany gives.

I've played Larrivee D/L-03s made of either mahogany or sapele side by side. They sounded pretty much identical.

The Epi sounds like the answer. It's only $500 too. Slope shoulders and everything.

• Members

I've played Larrivee D/L-03s made of either mahogany or sapele side by side. They sounded pretty much identical.

The Epi sounds like the answer. It's only $500 too. Slope shoulders and everything.

You do realize that you just posted the step below guitars that i'm interested in?

Archived