OT: Cell phone advice needed

IRG

• Members

So I have a Blackberry that work pays for, not that great really, but for free, I'm ok. Question is, my middle schooler is having a birthday next month, and would like a phone/mp3 player. All her friends have one, yada yada. But it would be helpful for mom and dad if she has one too.

So, here's the requirements, I get a 19% discount on Verizon and AT&T plans, and she's likely to text/surf web/use as a music player more than a phone. Our cell phone reception is spotty where we live, but nearby it's fine.

I really don't want an expensive new phone, as it could easily get lost/damaged by her, so a good phone, for under $100. The iPhone 3GS could be viable, $49 plus plan on AT&T (although I would prefer Verizon for where we live), Samsung Fascinate $49, another Samsung phone: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Samsung+-+SCH-U370+Mobile+Phone+-+Black+(Verizon+Wireless)/2257755.p?id=1218321299618&skuId=2257755&contract_desc=

HTC Droid $0 http://www.bestbuy.com/site/HTC+-+DROID+Incredible+Mobile+Phone+-+Black+(Verizon+Wireless)/9893153.p?id=1218190733873&skuId=9893153&contract_desc=

I might go with a family 2 line plan, and add my wife and the kid to this plan. What should I look out for when it comes to hidden fees, text packages, etc. It is almost overwhelming the choices/fees and I know that's by design. I never have to worry about it with my phone since it's all free for me.

Anyone want to make a recommendation on what I should get a 12 year old? She's already pretty savvy when it comes to electronic gadgets.

• Members

I'm leaning towards that too. She wanted an iPod Touch, but the iPhone would seem to be a good music player (as good as a 12 year old needs) and a decent phone too. This is the same kid that left our cordless phone outdoors all night over the weekend. Fortunately it didn't rain. But I don't want a basic phone either, as a music player was pretty important to her too.

• Members

With Verizon the data plan discount (your 19%) is only good for the main line. So you get 19% off the family shared package (minutes + unlimited txtpic depending on plan), and 19% off 1 phone's data package.

Might want to look into a warranty as well....

Interesting, so if you go for a 2 line package, only 1 of those phones gets a discount? I would probably opt for the kid then, as my wife rarely has a need to use her cellphone (rare I know).

• Members

Interesting, so if you go for a 2 line package, only 1 of those phones gets a discount? I would probably opt for the kid then, as my wife rarely has a need to use her cellphone (rare I know).

Yeap. We have 2 smartphones, get 22% off the package bill, but only 22% off 1 phone's data package.

• Members

Iphone man.

Its so popular and its a good phone.

I mention the popular thing because of the "all of her friends have one" statement.

They may not have Iphones but at least your daughter will be teh koolz.

You can't put a price tag on that.

Also by Iphone I mean 3GS

• Members
Iphone man.

Its so popular and its a good phone.

I mention the popular thing because of the "all of her friends have one" statement.

They may not have Iphones but at least your daughter will be teh koolz.

You can't put a price tag on that.

Also by Iphone I mean 3GS

Yes, teh cool factor is important here ;) She will leapfrog her friends if she gets an iphone. Probably will leapfrog me too.

• Members

Also, if I have a 2 line family package, can I get 2 iPhone 3GS for $49 each then? That might be worth it.

Probably can go threw the AT&T online checkout and see.

However I don't think I would want a 2 version old iPhone for myself as rumor the next version will be out some time in September...

And, with the next version released, what do you think might happen with the guessingly large surplus of iPhone 4's around......I'm betting they cut the price to 99$ with the new phone at 199$

• Members

Probably can go threw the AT&T online checkout and see.

However I don't think I would want a 2 version old iPhone for myself as rumor the next version will be out some time in September...

And, with the next version released, what do you think might happen with the guessingly large surplus of iPhone 4's around......I'm betting they cut the price to 99$ with the new phone at 199$

Good point. Question about it's storage, the 3GS has 8GB of memory, how much of that can be allotted to storing music? Is the quality of it as good as an iPod Touch, or pretty close to it at least? I was surprised to see how expensive the touch was, seemed to make more sense to get an iphone, although I guess that is all tied up to having a 2 year contract too.

I know places like Best Buy also sell a buyback contract or something like that if you want a newer phone within so many months. If a new phone comes out in September, maybe the 4G would be a good price as you mentioned.

• Members

Good point. Question about it's storage, the 3GS has 8GB of memory, how much of that can be allotted to storing music? Is the quality of it as good as an iPod Touch, or pretty close to it at least? I was surprised to see how expensive the touch was, seemed to make more sense to get an iphone, although I guess that is all tied up to having a 2 year contract too.

I know places like Best Buy also sell a buyback contract or something like that if you want a newer phone within so many months. If a new phone comes out in September, maybe the 4G would be a good price as you mentioned.

You loose about a Gig I believe with formatting and the actual space the OS takes up on a 8GB iphoneiPod. Then also the space of any apps you download and install.

Quality is the same. It's an iPod in all senses....

Best Buy Buyback is a profit for them, loss for you. You would do better selling on Craigslist....

• Members

With apps like Pandora I really don't care about how much of my music I can put onto my iPhone. In fact, I can't remember the last time I used the iPod app on my phone.

• Members

With apps like Pandora I really don't care about how much of my music I can put onto my iPhone. In fact, I can't remember the last time I used the iPod app on my phone.

How does Pandora work?

• Members

My first smart phone of any kind was the iPhone 3GS.

I still have it - my two year plan comes up in October.

I've been totally stoked with it. Never had any issue - besides lint build up in the headphone jack :mad:

Once my contract is finished I'll keep using it until the 4S/5 is released - even if that is next year.

• Members

she's 12 and she needs to have an iphone because other kids have one a cool phone?

(I just thought that this thread could need such a statement ;-))

But of course! Actually her mom and dad want her to have a phone too - she often is with friends (and their parents) but forgets to call, and somehow these parents forget to have her call too, so this will help. Funny thing is, she won't really be able to use it as much I think she thinks, because reception at our house is poor, but maybe it's my blackberry - her friends come over and seem to get some reception. Also can't use it in school, but if it's an ipod she can use it as a music player around the house, so kinda kills 2 birds with 1 stone kinda thing.

• Members

Pay as you go plans. After looking at phone plans (for iPhone, others) I can see this is going to cost me more than I want. I think a pay as you go plan might be better - anyone do this? Can you do this very easily with a smart phone? Lots to look at still.

• Members

Pay as you go plans. After looking at phone plans (for iPhone, others) I can see this is going to cost me more than I want. I think a pay as you go plan might be better - anyone do this? Can you do this very easily with a smart phone? Lots to look at still.

Pay as you go stinks did it once. Cheaper to get a plan. For what its worth iphone's suck meatballs. Everyone is wrong google android phones are better.

• Members

For a kid get unlimited everything. They'll use it. My 16 year old had over 6,000 texts and 4,000 minutes last month. Walmart, Metro-PCS and others have plans for $50 a month or so.

As to the poor signal in your house, if you get a wi-fi capable phone, you can connect through your wireless router and have it work just as if it were connected to a cell tower. I don't have signal at my house either, and wi-fi phones work great.

• Members

For a kid get unlimited everything. They'll use it. My 16 year old had over 6,000 texts and 4,000 minutes last month. Walmart, Metro-PCS and others have plans for $50 a month or so.

As to the poor signal in your house, if you get a wi-fi capable phone, you can connect through your wireless router and have it work just as if it were connected to a cell tower. I don't have signal at my house either, and wi-fi phones work great.

Hey thanks, great idea. Never heard of this option before, I'm so behind the times. Sigh. I do have a wireless router, so this could be a great solution. Are wifi phones everywhere, or are they more of a specialty kind of phone?

• Members

Hey thanks, great idea. Never heard of this option before, I'm so behind the times. Sigh. I do have a wireless router, so this could be a great solution. Are wifi phones everywhere, or are they more of a specialty kind of phone?

I think pretty much all of the newer smart phones should be wi-fi capable, but most of the basic budget ones probably aren't. I'm not really up on all the latest cell phone stuff, I just figured it out from reading about t-mobile's hot spots. Since I have T-mobile, I just got a basic wi-fi capable Samsung phone and it just hopped right on the router and as soon as I put the password in it started working. My kids' friends all have smart phones with a variety of carriers and they all seem to be able to connect at our house too.

Archived