OT: 80's Cartoon remakes (some are better than others)

• Members

I know, I know.. off topic

First off is the new Voltron Force... ugh

[video=youtube;UZ9TS2wsn4o]

I feel like my childhood was just raped repeatedly after watching that.

But this... This is so much better. I'm actually excited about this -

[video=youtube;Yevav-RcUfQ]

• Members

It's like every remake is made into the same exact cartoon. Bad voice acting + overly dramatic dialogue for the story. They need to just come up with new good ideas, not make watered down "hip" versions of old cartoons.

• Members

Another 80s kid here (born in 74, re: Star Wars->GI Joe->Transformers/Voltron, some He-Man thrown in there as well, and oh my the awesome Saturday morning cartoons that stemmed from video game characters)

I used to want to be an animator, so I still love cartoons and catch what I can to maybe keep myself from growing up fully or remember part of my youth... not sure which.

Anyways... One thing I can say for some of these remakes is that the animation is gorgeous is a lot of them. Quite a step up from what we had in a lot of cases, whether you like character design updates or not.

I am finding the GI Joe Renegades to be intriguing, because of how different it is than what we grew up with on either the cartoon or the comics (was a big fan of the joe comics). I think that if this is what we had back then, I don't know if I would've liked it, it would have been to slow-paced and small scale. It's got this weird almost Lost like thing going on with it or something, because it's almost like it's a precursor to what we know... like they are building towards something. Maybe that's why I'm intrigued as an adult. Doesn't tie in with the movie of a few years ago, or any other series I'm aware of, and the origins are slightly different than any of the established ones.

[YOUTUBE]pRyWe2n6j2E[/YOUTUBE]

Oh and the Resolute Minisode Series that came out a couple years ago on AdultSwim also interesting, tho I'm not a fan of this style of animation for these characters.

[YOUTUBE]7DJAZCHeUXE[/YOUTUBE]

• Members

I like the new GI Joe cartoons better than the old cartoon. My only complaint on Renegade is that the whole "wanted, accused of a crime they didn't commit" plot is too much like the A-Team. Otherwise it's pretty good.

• Members

Hey I was born in 74 too! I grew up with G.I.Joe(comics and cartoon), Voltron, Transformers, Thundercats, G-Force, and Robotech. So despite myself, I can't help but get excited when I see the remakes. Although usually it ends in failure. Thanks for the heads up, I didn't know about the Resolute and Renegades stuff. I actually prefer the style of Resolute more though.

• Members

i LOVED KV as a kid. I taped all their songs with my tape recorder. i would wait in anticipation until the tune played at the last minute, loved video romeo and easy love.

im sure a modern version would make it like american idol or something.

and theyre redoing TMNT , AGAIN!

• Members

Didn't Warren Ellis write one of those new GI Joe series? I'd check that out.

There are a bunch of Marvel motion comics on netflix now, I've been enjoying those. The Black Panther one is pretty funny.

Voltron live action movie, you know it's only a matter of time.

Archived