What's the buzz?

npfrs

• Members

So, I have a '62 Fender Tremolux head & cab and when I plug directly into the bright channel, I get the best tone (up around 7/8 or so sits so nice, but 4/5 also sounds good), BUT there's a high-end hiss present. At first, I thought it was my old archtop (which does summer from it a fair amount of the time), so I tried the SG and there was less, but still some.

Then I plugged it into my board...

:cry:

It's just worse, overall. The hiss is more pronounced. It goes away when I touch the strings though, and also when I touch one of the pedals with my toe, so...

What's the buzz?

I'm "guessing" it could be {censored}ty wiring in this student-grade apartment I've subletted for a few months, and if that's your "guess" too, what are the solutions?

:rawk:HSSSSSSSSSSsssssss........

• Members

If the buzz goes away when you touch your strings, that's normal. It's only an issue when it
doesn't
go away when you touch your strings.
:)

Good to know. Is there a better solutions than keeping m fingers on my strings though? I loop a lot of often bend down to tweak knobs, not always keeping a hand on the frets, so...

Any solutions/thoughts on eliminating it entirely (or the cause? It's not a high-gain scenario - I'm playing folky music here).

• Members

Well, you could always wear one of these http://www.amazon.com/Cables-Unlimited-ACC-1400-Static-Grounding/dp/B000EDMPQK around some part of your body (say your wrist or ankle) and clip the other end to a piece of grounded metal on your rig (like a jack casing or some metal part of your guitar or the outside of a guitar pedal).

Failing that you can always sew several strips of bacon together and tether yourself to a jack casing.

• Members

Well, you could always wear one of these
around some part of your body (say your wrist or ankle) and clip the other end to a piece of grounded metal on your rig (like a jack casing or some metal part of your guitar or the outside of a guitar pedal).

Failing that you can always sew several strips of bacon together and tether yourself to a jack casing.

I do like bacon...

Good to know. Is there a better solutions than keeping m fingers on my strings though? I loop a lot of often bend down to tweak knobs, not always keeping a hand on the frets, so...

Any solutions/thoughts on eliminating it entirely (or the cause? It's not a high-gain scenario - I'm playing folky music here).

The problem is... us. We humans are largely made up of water, and we're pretty conductive, and we kind of like a big antenna. Radio and electromagnetic waves in the air are picked up by our bodies and the guitar's pickups pick that up (via induction) and amplifies it. Guitars usually have a string ground wire that connects a part of the metal on the bridge with the ground pin on the output jack. When you touch the strings, your body becomes grounded through the guitar's ground path. That's why you see the noise levels drop drastically when you touch the strings.

Try this experiment. Hook your guitar up, strap it on and do the touch strings / let go of the strings routine. Make a mental note of the noise levels each way. Now take the guitar off and set it on a stand. Stand as far away from the body as you can while still being able to reach out and touch the strings. Do you notice any difference in the noise levels?

The best things you can do to reduce the noise is to make sure the guitar is as fully shielded and properly grounded as possible. If you are careful, it's a pretty easy DIY project... or you can have a good tech check the guitar out and make sure it's well shielded.

Archived