anyone here like animal collective?

• Members

just curious were this band stands with the HCFX crowd.

I'm a pretty big fan myself, just got Panda Bear's tomboy.:thu:
I'm aware they aren't the best musicians in the world, but lots of strange sounds. enjoyable live shows.

plus i like this video....

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

hahahah TOM!!!

I'd rather listen to Black Dice.

I saw black dice.... Meh.... It was alright I guess.

But dinosaur feathers, bear flag, and whores are on a lot at my house.

I like please please george, its grown on me

Guest Guest

I saw black dice.... Meh.... It was alright I guess.

But dinosaur feathers, bear flag, and whores are on a lot at my house.

I like please please george, its grown on me

That's funny - once we finished it, I imagined it was the sort of thing that would grate on people rather than grow on them. I'm glad you're in the latter camp.

I like that Animal Collective record Spirit They've Gone, Spirit They've Vanished - it was the first I heard of theirs. Danse Manatee I'm not so into; Here Comes the Indian is kind of a not-quite-as-good rehash, IMO; Sung Tongs was okay I guess; I {censored}ing HATED Feels when it was first released, but that's since been tempered; Strawberry Jam is pretty good; Merriweather, I don't get almost at all.

Creature Comforts by Black Dice, though - that's real good. I enjoyed the Black Dice show I went to (in a classroom at MassArt) waaaayyyy more than I enjoyed the Animal Collective show I went to. Different strokes, I guess.

• Members

I love Person Pitch and MPP. Not too crazy about their older stuff. I realize that isnt the cool thing to say, oh well.

I've been listening to "Last Night on the Jetty" and "Slow Motion" for a month or more now because they were on free downloads. Not bad, but not better than the above mentioned stuff, nor groundbreaking.

• Members

Just for giggles, what are your thoughts on stating that AC is the most original musical outfit to come out during the last 10 years?

I had this argument with the aforementioned friend and had a really difficult time getting across that what they do isn't necessarily the most original thing to come about.

I figured this is as good a place as any to discuss, maybe I am missing the boat on their originality....

• Members

Just for giggles, what are your thoughts on stating that AC is the most original musical outfit to come out during the last 10 years?

I had this argument with the aforementioned friend and had a really difficult time getting across that what they do isn't necessarily the most original thing to come about.

I figured this is as good a place as any to discuss, maybe I am missing the boat on their originality....

It's like Brian Wilson meets Brian Eno, which is right up my alley, but too derivative to make the above claim.

However, I have a hard time thinking of any act right now that deserves to be called "the most original act of the last 10 years." :idk:

Maybe Arcade Fire?

• Members
It's like Brian Wilson meets Brian Eno, which is right up my alley, but too derivative to make the above claim.

However, I have a hard time thinking of any act right now that deserves to be called "the most original act of the last 10 years."
:idk:

Touche, I don't really follow vocalists too much but I am a Brian Eno fan, albeit more of his ambient stuff.

I had a difficult time as well really coming up with an artist that I could really peg that title. So much is available in this day and age that the whole "originality" idea might just need reinventing.

• Members

The answer is clearly Lady Gaga, not Animal Collective.

• Members

That's funny - once we finished it, I imagined it was the sort of thing that would grate on people rather than grow on them. I'm glad you're in the latter camp.

I like that Animal Collective record Spirit They've Gone, Spirit They've Vanished - it was the first I heard of theirs. Danse Manatee I'm not so into; Here Comes the Indian is kind of a not-quite-as-good rehash, IMO; Sung Tongs was okay I guess; I {censored}ing HATED Feels when it was first released, but that's since been tempered; Strawberry Jam is pretty good; Merriweather, I don't get almost at all.

Creature Comforts by Black Dice, though - that's real good. I enjoyed the Black Dice show I went to (in a classroom at MassArt) waaaayyyy more than I enjoyed the Animal Collective show I went to. Different strokes, I guess.

Dude I was at that show.... with neptune the band that makes their own instruments

Guest Guest

Dude I was at that show.... with neptune the band that makes their own instruments

Did you see Animal Collectve at the Avalon too? Those are the two shows I was comparing.

Neptune {censored}ing killed it that night at MassArt.

Archived