I really love the Boss CS-2.

seifukusha

• Members

i thought I didnt dig vca based stuff after the rcl-10 (which is the basis for the mij cs-3,which is a different beast for some reason than the mit cs-3), but after using my 335

into it for a few weeks, im really loving the character of it, esp into a fine reverb. poppy and squishy. so nice. i dont need more functions. just sweet tone.

any other fans?

• Members

I love it too - it's not transparent at all, it's smooth and sweet. Works wonders with my strat, and it's great for slide work too. If I had to define a "warm" tone, I'd probably pick the CS-2 to demonstrate one.

It's less noisy than the CS-3 in my experience, I actually wonder if there's some high frequency de-emphasis to get rid of some hiss, and that's why the pedal sounds so smooth?

Here's mine, first in the chain. I hand one a while back and sold it, missed it so much I got this one in early April. I mean, I wasn't crying or anything... but I did start drinking more heavily.

PedalboardJuly11small.jpg

• Members

Noob question, but how would you know if you needed a compressor? Also, how would you compare it to the Dyna Comp, Supercomp, or Soul Preacher?

That's a hard question to answer! I guess if you try one and you like the sound, then it's worth having one. But I don't think anyone needs an effect, if you know what I mean.

I've found that for most overdriven/ distorted sounds, and with humbuckers, there's not much need for compression. But if you want clean sounds with extra sustain, they're perfect. Also with my strat it's a good way to thicken out the sound a little on the way into the rest of my board.

• Members

SDD-3kp :thu: Love that pedal

I love it too - it's not transparent at all, it's smooth and sweet. Works wonders with my strat, and it's great for slide work too. If I had to define a "warm" tone, I'd probably pick the CS-2 to demonstrate one.

It's less noisy than the CS-3 in my experience, I actually wonder if there's some high frequency de-emphasis to get rid of some hiss, and that's why the pedal sounds so smooth?

Here's mine, first in the chain. I hand one a while back and sold it, missed it so much I got this one in early April. I mean, I wasn't crying or anything... but I did start drinking more heavily.

PedalboardJuly11small.jpg

• Members

That's a hard question to answer! I guess if you try one and you like the sound, then it's worth having one. But I don't think anyone needs an effect, if you know what I mean.

I've found that for most overdriven/ distorted sounds, and with humbuckers, there's not much need for compression. But if you want clean sounds with extra sustain, they're perfect. Also with my strat it's a good way to thicken out the sound a little on the way into the rest of my board.

Thanks of the response. I currently have a Bullet Strat and am waiting on the arrival of a '69 RI Tele Thinline, so it's all single coils here. Sounds like it's something I could use because I don't use distortion all the time. I love using delay and reverb without distortion for shoegazey/spacey stuff.

• Members

It does get very squishy, but before noon on the compression it's not nearly as bad. You really have to crank the volume up though. I use settings pretty similar to cirrus on mine. Usually more volume as I like to play loud.

• Members

It does get very squishy, but before noon on the compression it's not nearly as bad. You really have to crank the volume up though. I use settings pretty similar to cirrus on mine. Usually more volume as I like to play loud.

Yeah, where mine is set is pretty much unity volume if I strum my strat as hard as I usually do - if it was my explorer and I wanted it to be as loud as when I dig in, it'd be up at about 3 o'clock I think.

• Members

You can mod the cs2 and 3 to get rid of any noise issues. If you can solder then do a google search for Monte Allums mods. Im planning on modding a few of my Boss pedals. The mod kits replace cheap key components with quality ones. Friend of mine has modded his BD-2 and its a night and day change in tone.

• Members

The compressor I would buy if I bought a compressor, I think. Great, great sound. Mr. Gilmour's tone on Pulse includes the CS-2. The clean tone in Another Brick is amazing... Thing is, compression isn't really something I like for my playing, and I get a bit of 'natural' compression from my preamp and OD pedal anyway...:thu:

• Members

Noob question, but how would you know if you needed a compressor? Also, how would you compare it to the Dyna Comp, Supercomp, or Soul Preacher?

That's my problem too. What does a compressed tone sound like? I use a DynaComp to get a little more sustain and to even out the strings. Other then that, I can't tell if there is a tone difference and is there supposed to be one.

Archived