Red Panda PARTICLE pitch shift/delay pedal

coloringpad

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

ableton live's granular delay in a pedal, {censored} YES!

:thu:

That's kind of my favorite development recently; the manifestation of what used to be software/DAW only effects in physical formats like modular systems and pedals.

I am teh excited :)

• 11 months later...
  • Members

From the site:

Particle is a granular delay / pitch shifting pedal. It chops your signal into small grains and rearranges their time or pitch, using the techniques of granular synthesis in real time. Results range from ghostly chorus and pitch shifted delay to glitched out, beat juggling, VOIP-break-up noise.

Features:

3 pitch modes: detune, density, LFO

5 delay modes: random, density, LFO, random pitch, reverse

adjustable grain size

pitch shift +/- 1 octave, depending on mode

delay 0-900 ms, depending on mode

feedback

audio-triggered freeze mode - recycles input signal

true bypass

analog dry signal

This is one of three pedals I have that have an auto-freeze feature: the dep2a and superego are the other two. This is way more useable in the sense that the level/sensitivity of the auto trigger is dependable and accurate. Actually, I've already learned to point the knob notch at the second E in the word freeze, and it picks up everything. The superego has no adjustable level at all. The dep2a is very dependent upon the position of the other knobs.

Will do a "freeze shootout" later. Tired of wrestling the computer today.

• Members

Oooooh this thing is fun. Just made this with the simplest random drums to give a sense of the Auto Trigger in Freeze mode. I will follow with more.

Damn, coloringpad; that is a great demo! :thu:

I'm working on guitar and bass demos. Gonna be a while though. I'll never be able to show everything it can do.

• Members

coloringpad forgot to mention that he was the one who suggested audio-triggered freeze
:)

Awesome video, man!

(Blushing) I wouldn't take credit publicly, but I am very proud of what you have done with my suggestion. More than I could have ever imagined. Just remember, Curt and all pedal makers, you have more of an opportunity to influence the future of music by making an innovative pedal than as a musician. The lot of you are the reason I am on this forum daily.

This pedal continues to amaze. Turn off the feedback while freezing sounds for really creative sound processing.

For you, Curt.

[video=youtube;7UiZs8ydS9M]

A note on the audio: This audio was captured from an amazing radio program called Radiolab on NPR. The podcast is available on iTunes for free, and you should really consider subscribing. This podcast in particular is called Musical Language, and as a musician, has changed how I perceive sound and is one of the most astonishing pieces of radio I have ever encountered. I hope Radiolab and Diana Deutsch are not offended by me using it. Listen @ http://www.radiolab.org/2007/sep/24/

Archived