EQD HOOF Fuzz VS BlackoutEffectors MUSKET VS EHX Tone Wicker...which one?

Johansolo

• Members

this has prob been asked before, but ill guess its my turn.

im wanting to treat myself to a muff style fuzz.

the only one ive played is a friends hoof fuzz and i like it. im on a bit of a The black keys kick atm, so slightly leaning towards this,

Tone wicker is half the price.

never played the musket. prob wont be able to and have to order online.

i like blues/Rock AND doom/metal, but has to have that smooth high gain/sustain lead tone (esp with neck humbuckers)

thoughts?

• Members

I don't think a muff style fuzz will get all the black key tones but it will get some of them. For that i say the hoof, even though i have the musket which is getting harder and harder to get along with each month. I know it has the mids knob but i can't get it to cut through like i want. Seems like the musket was the flavor of the month a while ago and lost cred with time as i'm sure the pharaoh would too. It's still great for recording but band situations are tough sometimes. The tone wicker i had cut like a dream and is great for the money, but not the greatest muff tone ever. So get the tone wicker if you want a very common but still good muff tone or a hoof if you want that edge.

• Members

i guess i should add more info, ive owned a few muffs pedals (NYC RI, Russian, Bass Big muff and the way huge Swollen pickle RI...my fav being the bass big muff) as well as built a few of own modified muff clones.

im not specifically looking to cop the black keys tone, or smashing pumpkins...or gilmour tone.

but its got to be in the muff ballpark.

i dont play in a band...but record...so cutting live in a mix is not an issue.

ill check out the pharoah and other black arts stuff.

i dont really keep up to date with flavour of the month type stuff...(thats bad when you dont have money) plus most of the stuff isnt readily available down under, but i jsut happen to have gear money/in a buying spree at the momment.

• Members

this has prob been asked before, but ill guess its my turn.

im wanting to treat myself to a muff style fuzz.

the only one ive played is a friends hoof fuzz and i like it. im on a bit of a The black keys kick atm, so slightly leaning towards this,

Tone wicker is half the price.

never played the musket. prob wont be able to and have to order online.

i like blues/Rock AND doom/metal, but has to have that smooth high gain/sustain lead tone (esp with neck humbuckers)

thoughts?

I have never played the Hoof, so keep that in mind. I have a Musket and have played the Wicker Muff. To be honest, I was really surprised with how good the Wicker sounded. I keep my Musket dialed in for giant stonery fuzz, and could get the Wicker pretty close to that tone. The Musket seems to be quite a bit more versatile though (the focus knob is insanely useful imo), so if you need several different muff type sounds I feel like it's hard to beat. However, I don't play out, so I can't comment about it cutting through a mix.

If it were me I would go for a used Musket, and if you can't cop the Black Keys broken amp tones that you are looking for you can always pick up something like an EQD Dirt Transmitter in the future :thu:

• Members

SUF or Wren & Cuff.

Why does every Muff thread involving the Hoof and Musket exclude every other option?(except the tone wicker, in this case)

This isn't a slam on the OP. It just seems there's a great divide, and the Hoof and Musket are always mentioned in the same sentence with nothing else.

• Members

i dunno...i guess i just knew about the hoof because my friend has one (who has offered to lend it to me...to try...might see if i can turn this around into a sale)

the musket...well...i only "heard" about it through this forum at the time when it first came out? (or was it the twosome?) but never checked out any clips...due to...well not lack of interest, but me trying to steer away from more gas.

i guess the muskett just stuck in my memory (in terms of pedal names) and its subconcious telling me...hey check me out now that youre actually wanting to buy.

as i said before...i havent really kept up with current stuff. theres just too many too choose from. ill check out the SUF (actually felt like a noob googling and not knowing it stood for stomp under foot...got some links to surf guitar too haha) and wren and cuff

• Members

i dunno...i guess i just knew about the hoof because my friend has one (who has offered to lend it to me...to try...might see if i can turn this around into a sale)

the musket...well...i only "heard" about it through this forum at the time when it first came out? (or was it the twosome?) but never checked out any clips...due to...well not lack of interest, but me trying to steer away from more gas.

i guess the muskett just stuck in my memory (in terms of pedal names) and its subconcious telling me...hey check me out now that youre actually wanting to buy.

as i said before...i havent really kept up with current stuff. theres just too many too choose from. ill check out the SUF (actually felt like a noob googling and not knowing it stood for stomp under foot...got some links to surf guitar too haha) and wren and cuff

FWIW, I've never tried a Hoof or a Musket, but the SUF Civil War changed my life. seriously.:thu:

• Members

SUF or Wren & Cuff.

Why does every Muff thread involving the Hoof and Musket exclude every other option?(except the tone wicker, in this case)

This isn't a slam on the OP. It just seems there's a great divide, and the Hoof and Musket are always mentioned in the same sentence with nothing else.

Musket.

• Members

BMwTW shouldn't even be in that list.

In the Hoof vs Musket debate, really it's just a matter of preference. Both sound great, the Musket is just much more tweakable, so pick your poison. The Big Muff with Tone Wicker was one of the biggest fuzz disappointments of my adult life.

• Members

If it doesn't have to be a green russian style muff, you might wanna try a Way Huge Swollen Pickle. Prefer it over my old '70s BMP in every way, and it's way more tweekable, and also more quiet. Not sure it'll give you black keys type of tones though. The BAT Pharaoh might kick all sorts of ass for all I know, but based on the clips/reviews I hear/read, it definatelly lacks in gain departement compared to the Swollen Pickle. Which doesn't even sound THAT saturated and over the top either compared to my old BMP with the gain knob dimed...

Edit: Not that I have the money right now, but the clips of the LSTR sound {censored}ing stellar impo. So far, it seems like the bees knees when it comes to versatile new booteek fuzz peds if you ask me.

• Members

SUF or Wren & Cuff.

red-menace.jpg

I wanna try this pretty bad.

• Members

If it doesn't have to be a green russian style muff, you might wanna try a Way Huge Swollen Pickle. Prefer it over my old '70s BMP in every way, and it's way more tweekable, and also more quiet. Not sure it'll give you black keys type of tones though. The BAT Pharaoh might kick all sorts of ass for all I know, but based on the clips/reviews I hear/read, it definatelly lacks in gain departement compared to the Swollen Pickle. Which doesn't even sound THAT saturated and over the top either compared to my old BMP with the gain knob dimed...

Edit: Not that I have the money right now, but the clips of the LSTR sound {censored}ing stellar impo. So far, it seems like the bees knees when it comes to versatile new booteek fuzz peds if you ask me.

already owned the SP (well the current RI) and didnt like it. ive also messed with the pickle tone stack vs BMP tonestack on builds and just prefer the muff tone stack (or no tone stack at all)

my friend who has the hoof also has the hoof+reaper 2 in one(which looks to be interesting...has a octave toggle on it too!)...soo... i may be able to persuade him to let go off his hoof...

but im still checking out other options.

Archived