Dr. Who

• Members

I've become addicted to the episodes on netflix. Got through the season with the 9th doctor and on the second season of the 10th doctor. It's so addicting.

Are the previous seasons worth watching? Better? They aren't on instant netflix but I'll find em if they are worth it. I think I still have another 3-4 seasons left on netflix

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Really?! I wasn't sure if I was going to like that doctor, but this is reassuring. I watched very few Dr. Who a long time ago and really liked David Tennant. Well I'm sure I'll be to that doctor in no time haha.

The quality step up is so high it's staggering. You get more of an overarching plot, a more three dimensional Doctor, and the best companions yet

• Members

Be careful when it comes to the old stuff. You don't so much have to lower expectations, but you certainly have to adjust them. Near total lack of budget and much slower in pacing (serials of varying lengths rather than single episodes), it stands entirely on the writing and acting whether it's good or it sucks. Luckily, it's often VERY good. I've seen this show take the most seemingly inane ideas and craft brilliant science fiction from them.

Third or Fourth Doctor would be the easiest place to start, I can't remember what Netflix has for streaming though.....

• Members

Can't comment on the older stuff, but you haven't seen anything until you get to the Matt Smith/Steven Moffat era

This. Matt Smith is VERY good. And the series with him in are a bit darker. And his female sidekick is very attractive lol. - anyway yeah it's worth watching.

• Members

I was a casual fan of what's now called Doctor Who Classic. I've watched every epsiode of the current Series (2005 onwards). I'd call myself a fan but I don't argue cannon on websites etc.

IMHO you (the op Mr Stuff) are watching it in the right order. The stories and writing do have a continuity and there is a journey for the characters.

IMHO the Eccleston stuff is ok with the following episodes being outstanding; Dalek, the Are You My Mummy? two parter and the finale. The Tennant stuff is varied, Series 2 is fairly strong but has some stinkers, the finale is exceptional. Series 3 is probably the poorest one but has 42 and Blink. Series 4 is probably the best one. The SPecials are not that special. Series 5 with Matt Smith is amazing. Series 6 is currently halfway through and starts again this Saturday.

The current series has been quite complicated with a lot of outstanding questions unanswered and a lot of 'timey-wimey' stuff (people meeting in the wrong order).

Russell T Davies (Series 1-4) wrote and supervised a lot of character based stories, with a lot of back story and relationships. Steven Moffat writes more plot based stories and really uses the time travel aspect. People meet the Doctor first as old people or they meet him as a child and then as an adult but it's the same day for him or it's a month for them and 200 years for him.

Enjoy

• Members

BTW-the Classic Series is ok but some of it is dross or filler or both. I would reccomend the following...

Tomb of the Cybermen
The Three Doctors
Terror of the Autons
Genesis of the Daleks
The Five Doctors
The Caves of the Androzni
THe Two Doctors
Battlefield
Rememberance of the Daleks
The Movie

• Members

Matt Smith is probably the worst Doctor in my opinion. Totally over the top, and there's something about his face which makes me want to punch it. I want to like him and try to but...he's not endearing in the slightest.

I disagree but the good thing with this program is that the lead actor normally lasts 3-4 years, so there maybe someone you like in the near future. Rumours are that Matt Smith will leave end of next year.

• Members

Matt Smith is probably the worst Doctor in my opinion. Totally over the top, and there's something about his face which makes me want to punch it. I want to like him and try to but...he's not endearing in the slightest.

Funny, I think he's a lot more controlled than David Tennant ever was who basically had quiet mode and then SUPER HYPER MODE. This was true in other things he appeared in. Take his Shakespearean jaunt alongside Patrick Stewart in the recent past. Patrick acted the {censored} out of David.

• Members

{censored}! I just hit cmnd+R and refreshed the page (wiping the three paragraphs I'd just written) instead of hitting cmnd+T to open a new tab and find the article i was going to show the OP. :mad:

well, you'll never get to know what i was going to say about Doctor Who, but here's the article

• Members

i don't have much to contribute re Dr Who besides the latest guy Matt something seems much more like a Dr than the scottish guy.

also, i keep reading people saying "it's so addicting".. grammar sirens go off in my head every time. i'm not going to start a full on arguement about the fluidity of language, UK vs US English etc.. but.. :lol: it's always been "it's so addictive" in my world :)

• Members

also, i keep reading people saying "it's so addicting".. grammar sirens go off in my head every time. i'm not going to start a full on arguement about the fluidity of language, UK vs US English etc.. but..
:lol:
it's always been "it's so addict
ive
" in my world
:)

Thank god it's not just me! :lol:

Also; just found this, thought it was pretty relevant.

2011-08-23-one-louder.jpg

Archived