Boss DD-3 vs. DD-5

butterknucket

• Members

Both for different reasons.

DD3 is a workhorse, dead simple to use and can be easily modded to give you a low pass type of repeat (darker on each repeat). It's less expensive. Everyone should have one.

DD5 has more features and is more complicated, but it has the external tap tempo option. I like the fact that it can give you divisions for tap tempo as well.

Jacob

• Members

DD3 is a workhorse, dead simple to use and can be easily modded to give you a low pass type of repeat (darker on each repeat). It's less expensive. Everyone should have one.

DD5 has more features and is more complicated, but it has the external tap tempo option. I like the fact that it can give you divisions for tap tempo as well.

Jacob

I guess when you compare the two side by side the dd-5 is "more complex" technically cause it had more going on but in general it's still a super simple, straight forward delay.

• Members

The DD3 is stupid simple though. It really has three useable modes, and I almost never left the 800ms setting. You could say it just had three knobs. In comparison the DD5 is muchore complicated, especially when you connect a tap tempo switch, which changes divisions depending on the setting. As soon as something gets past three or four knobs it's complicated.

I wouldn't say it's a timefactor, or timeline, or even an El Capistan, but it's certainly much complicated than a dd3.

I still say both are great for different reasons.

One thing more I'll say is that comparing the DD-5 and DD-7 is better. I think the 7 wins. I own all three and have had a DD6 I would choose the DD-3 first, DD-7, DD-5, and then the DD-6.

Jacob

Jacob

• Members

Jacob

+1 and the old MIJ DD3 and DD2 have the big chip board and sound fantastic!

• Members

I used a DD-2 for years, and when it started to wear out, I compared the DD-3 and DD-5 at length. I went with the DD-3, as it sounded closer to the DD-2, and because I wasn't compelled to spend more for a DD-5 when I really had no use for the extra functions.

Archived