A photo diary: Repair of my Korg SDD-3000 Delay.. This should be fun!

Saturnine10

• Members

Right.

So found a busted SDD-3000 on ebay for a decent price, seller claimed that the power switch was at fault for its non-working status. I've had a few of the SDD-2000's (still own 2 of them) so i kinda know my way around these units as far as upkeep etc.. I love these delays, I think they sound fantastic and are super easy to use yada yada yada. Never thought i'd own one of the SDD-3000's since the used prices for them are pretty much ridiculous. The price was right on this one, so i went for it. Got it in the mail today, plugged it in and turned it on and got nothing but a flicker of the input LED's :idk:

The research:

Everything that i needed about how to get this unit up and running again i found here:

http://www.slemmons.com/KORG%20SDD3000.html

Seems simple enough, change a couple caps and keep my fingers crossed.

Pictures:

IMG_1496.jpg

IMG_1504.jpg

The Fix: Lets get dirty

I've had a bum SDD-2000 before, turns out it just needed to plugged in and let the caps charge since it hadnt been plugged in for a few years. That trick didnt work this time :mad: Me thinks its the main power/filter caps that must be bunk.

Lid off:

IMG_1499.jpg

Suspect battery?

IMG_1501.jpg

At this point i took out both main PCB's and replaced the 13 47uf 16v caps.. Didnt take pictures of that :mad:

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Main PCB's back in and power PCB is out:

IMG_1515.jpg

IMG_1516.jpg

Power PCB:

IMG_1505.jpg

IMG_1508.jpg

IMG_1506.jpg

Power caps and battery gonnnne

IMG_1509.jpg

Crap caps and battery:

IMG_1514.jpg

Of course had to take this picture:

IMG_1510.jpg

Silly diagram of what goes where:

IMG_1518.jpg

And thats where i'm at at the end of the night. Going to Jameco tomorrow to pick up the power/filter caps and then put everything all back together. I probably spent a solid 4 hours tonight to get to where i'm at now. Much respect to electronic repair people, this stuff isnt that easy.. haha

Profit.

IMG_1526.jpg

I'll be updating this thread as i make progress.. Yaya!

• Members

Thats the spirit!!

Hopefully this thread will help you get yours fixed.. Funny though, reading through the SDD yahoo groups people seem to hate dealing with Siemons for service.. Dave Peterson seems to be the man when it comes to fixing these units these days.. Just an fyi :thu:

• Members

Thats the spirit!!

Hopefully this thread will help you get yours fixed.. Funny though, reading through the SDD yahoo groups people seem to hate dealing with Siemons for service.. Dave Peterson seems to be the man when it comes to fixing these units these days.. Just an fyi
:thu:

Thank you for the info. Good luck on your repairs! And I'm not selling my acousticomputer either!!! :)

• Members

Yea i cant wait to try it either
I've had SDD-2k's for a few years now, i love them to death
:love:

Are they noticeably different other than the preamp in the 3K?

it sounds different, the fidelity is a big step up. I use one when I mix bands live and it's so nice to have knobs and switches and no menu scrolling. it's a killer delay as I'm sure you're aware.

• Members

Nice work so far. :thu:

Are there any damaged traces from the battery leakage?

Also, I didn't see this on the page you linked--and you may already know this--but you'll need to perform a mod when you replace the battery to keep it from blowing up. The old Varta in there was rechargeable, but the CR2032 that I'm assuming you'll replace it with isn't. So, you'll need to replace R14 with a 1N914 or 1N4148 diode with the anode (non-banded side) to the battery's positive terminal. In other words, you'll end up with the diode's band facing the edge of the PCB. Then you'll need to replace J4 with a 470-ohm resistor.

• Members

cool. theres a sdd-2000 near me for like $80 been there for years. kind of tired of the 1sec rack delay with modulation, have had like 5/6 of them. i was cool when i tried it.

i wonder if the 2000 and 3000 are close..hmmm

they're not close at all imo, the 2K is nice it just doesn't have the fidelity or ability to tweak on the fly like the 3K. I'm not putting the 2K down becasue it's a killer unit.

• Members

OMG thank you for posting that! Jameco has a battery thats close to the original, but perhaps going with a CR2032 might be a wiser choice..

All the crud from the battery was just on the top side of the PCB, the traces are perfect!!

Have you worked on one of these units before?

Nice work so far.

Are there any damaged traces from the battery leakage?

Also, I didn't see this on the page you linked--and you may already know this--but you'll need to perform a mod when you replace the battery to keep it from blowing up. The old Varta in there was rechargeable, but the CR2032 that I'm assuming you'll replace it with isn't. So, you'll need to replace R14 with a 1N914 or 1N4148 diode with the anode (non-banded side) to the battery's positive terminal. In other words, you'll end up with the diode's band facing the edge of the PCB. Then you'll need to replace J4 with a 470-ohm resistor.

• Members

OMG thank you for posting that! Jameco has a battery thats close to the original, but perhaps going with a CR2032 might be a wiser choice..

All the crud from the battery was just on the top side of the PCB, the traces are perfect!!

Have you worked on one of these units before?

It's good to hear that the traces are fine.

No, I haven't worked on an SDD-3000 before, but I've worked on a lot of vintage Korg gear.

A CR2032 is your best bet since it won't leak. The voltage is less but it does the job, and should last 10 years. You can either buy a battery holder or a leaded 2032. The lead spacing is narrower so you have do some bending to get it to fit in the old footprint. The leaded 2032s seem easier to work with--as opposed to holders--because the leads aren't as robust and are usually slightly longer.

• Members

Got the new caps i needed today :thu:

They're alot smaller than the ones i took out.. Crazy.

IMG_1527.jpg

I had to go with an Axial cap for the 2200uf 16v because thats all the Jameco had, oh well!

All the new goodies in place:

IMG_1528.jpg

Back where it belongs:

IMG_1529.jpg

Now the unit is just hanging out plugged in while the caps get charged.. Hopefully everything will work properly.. If not, then i dont know where to go from here haha

Archived