Protesters being arrested on the Brooklyn Bridge. Mass movement getting pissed.

solewheelin

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

thanks for the link btw. I don't know how they can fix this, it's something US has been moving towards for quite a while now.

ban selling and buying? ^^

It's not the buying and selling of stocks that's causing this,

It's the abuse of the financial system, ie.

- socializing losses while privatizing gains

- having a revolving door of people between Goldman Sachs and the government

- computer robo-trading

- simple outright fraud (ie. selling junk mortgaged backed securities as AAA and then taking the other side against the client)

• Members

- computer robo-trading

- simple outright fraud (ie. selling junk mortgaged backed securities as AAA and then taking the other side against the client)

ah yes, well aware, but what is the defined goal that the protestors are trying to achieve?

maybe they've actually said "this is exactly what we want" and i just missed it, if so fill me in!

• Members

ah yes, well aware, but what is the defined goal that the protestors are trying to achieve?

maybe they've actually said "this is exactly what we want" and i just missed it, if so fill me in!

One step at a time.

Considering how complacent the American public (especially the voting public) has been in the last 10 years of complete and utter {censored}tiness, just the fact that they're finally clueing in is already a big step.

I think people want jobs, they want to be able to trust institutions again, and they want the ultra rich (as in top 5%) to pay their share of taxes. That would be a good start.

• Members

- computer robo-trading

:thu:

• Members

The craziest thing is how main stream media is not even really reporting this...

Which just goes to show that it simply cannot be taken seriously. The glaring omission is very telling, isn't it? Mass protest in 3rd countries ripe for incoming capitalist interests is ok, but this is not.

In any case, the mainstream media (hah, much like the record industry) is dying, we, the internet, are the media.

• Members

western media gains nothing from reporting protests against what essentially owns them. some guys in a desert protesting a dictator is fine, but when the public turns on the people that give you a paycheck, no point in spreading the word.

Yep my wife is journalist.. She has to be very careful about what she publishes. Don't wanna piss of advertisers. Anyway kinda pisses me off because the media advertises themselves as fair & balanced news source or Latest breaking news its all bull{censored}. Looks like the BBC is reporting it:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-15134806

• Members

Just one step closer to what will be riots and chaos. Someone at the NYPD is on the protesters side. Without these confrontations this would have been over two weeks ago. I'm waiting for the looting and arson. It will happen if the police keep arresting people like this. The teachers and transit unions are supporting the protesters. If there is a teachers strike and public transit shuts down it will get ugly faster.

As a movement there is no clear reason and no real leader to the thing. That's a shame. I hope they pull together and get some focus and a clear message. It would be a shame to have London style riots here for no reason. At least have a message.

I'm glad nobody has been badly hurt yet. I fear it will take death and senseless violence to get real media attention. Sadly if this carries on it's a matter of time.

• Members

People are just tired of the bull{censored}. Gas prices are up because the price per barrel of oil is up, yet record profits are made. Massive layoff country-wide through all types of employment, yet my bosses still got their bonuses. Companies are making record profits yet the job market is garbage. Less workers are doing the job that more did before. IT is being outsourced like crazy, production is being moved off shore. IT offshoring is not taxed. At least if production is offshore the product is taxed on entry. The working man is getting {censored} on daily with the poor economy and poor work environments. Yet the government continues to give the pardon on the capital gains tax to the rich.

• Members

gd45.gif

I don't think we are even close to any type of revolution in america. I also think protesting does very little. the largest protest were against the iraq war, I think we are still fighting there or something. Or think the 1960's protest against vietnam. Largest death tolls were after the largest protest. We can back and forth about it but, I really don't think they are accomplishing much of anything.

• Members

gd45.gif

I don't think we are even close to any type of revolution in america. I also think protesting does very little. the largest protest were against the iraq war, I think we are still fighting there or something. Or think the 1960's protest against vietnam. Largest death tolls were after the largest protest. We can back and forth about it but, I really don't think they are accomplishing much of anything.

Great photo from the Depression. That women is only 32.. She looks like she's 50.

• Members

Good point and I agree, but the people have produced a strong beginning and they are fired up. Also, this is Wall st., New York City. More are affected worldwide and there are rights at stake.

Celebrities are (or are supposed to be) getting involved and once that happens, well, it won't be looked at as such a small thing. It's really just too bad.

Freedom of speech exists but has been known to get psychologically watered down.

Speech rarely gets received rightfully unless there is someone important involved and unfortunately,

the "random" new yorker who is affected by all of this is becoming less and less important regardless of the number.

This is all really {censored}ed up. How can the people get anything done against corporate greed? By shaving and wearing khakis and a polo shirt?

Protests are sadly not taken seriously.

What we really need are some superhackers.

• Members

People are just tired of the bull{censored}. Gas prices are up because the price per barrel of oil is up, yet record profits are made. Massive layoff country-wide through all types of employment, yet my bosses still got their bonuses. Companies are making record profits yet the job market is garbage. Less workers are doing the job that more did before. IT is being outsourced like crazy, production is being moved off shore. IT offshoring is not taxed. At least if production is offshore the product is taxed on entry. The working man is getting {censored} on daily with the poor economy and poor work environments. Yet the government continues to give the pardon on the capital gains tax to the rich.

This just needed to be carried on to the next page.

Archived