Lazy Saturday, cloudy outside.. time for everyone's favorite cheap & easy guitar mod!

jhamnett

• Members

dd303ceb.jpg

Bought a 3M sanding sponge and some 0000 steel wool yesterday. Taped off each guitar neck that I wanted to sand at top and bottom, then started with the sanding sponge to knock down most of the gloss, then the 0000 steel wool to even out scratches and overall smooth out the neck. A couple coats of guitar polish and now I'm in :love: with my new satin finish guitar necks!

:cool:

• Members

Post apocalypse bump? Ended up going over the Dot and my PRS SE a second time and then finished with a bit of polishing wax to get the necks purrrrrrrrfect.

Honestly, anyone who hates a glossy poly finish on their necks should do this ASAP!

• Members

I am seriously afraid to attempt something like this. Do you have pics of what it looks like after? Do you have any tips on giving a white maple tele neck more of a vintage/poly feel?

That was the after pic. Especially with poly finished set neck guitars there isn't much difference in look after except the high gloss goes away. It's good to have some cleaner and polishing wax on hand to condition the neck afterward. The wax is great for keeping the look consistent and filling in some scrapes. And depending on how careful you are there could be a few areas of scratches at the two ends of the sanded area, so be exact where you tape off your sanding area!

Archived