What are the must-have plugins/vsts for Logic?

Loobs

• Members

Just got Logic 9 for my Macbook. Recommend stuff to add to it?

So far Superior Drummer is on my list. I'd also like some nice retro synths/keyboards and some nice strings and orchestral stuff. Maybe some nice verbs too. Gonna be for recording my own stuff. Mainly guitar based.

• Members

Let me know if you've found a good rhodes plugin that doesn't cost a fortune. I used to have a zillion free ones back in my pc/cubase days, but there doesn't seem to much around for mac/logic...

• Members

What are you missing from Logic?

I'm assuming (from what I've heard/read) that Logic comes with a whole load of included plugins, effects and instruments, so you should really give those a chance first. Once you identify areas that need 'improving' for whatever reason, you'll have a better idea of what you need/want.

Imo, asking "What are the must-have plugins/vsts..." is on a par with asking "What are the must-have pedals/guitars..."; there are so many that basically do the same things, with the differences being just a matter of taste - either sonically, ergonomically or aesthetically.

For what it's worth though, I like PSP Audioware (http://www.pspaudioware.com/) plugins a lot for dynamics and EQ - they specialize in more 'coloured' processors.

I have lots of Blue Cat Audio (http://www.bluecataudio.com/Main/Home/), Stillwell (http://www.stillwellaudio.com/) and IK Multimedia (http://www.ikmultimedia.com/Main.html?MainPage.php) amongst others.

For instruments, I have Toontrack's EZ Drummer with a couple of expansion sample packs which does the job fine for me with careful mixing and processing, and is especially good when augmented with other drum samples using Kontakt and 3rd party drums sample sets...

I have Kontakt (Native Instruments - http://www.native-instruments.com/) for most sampled instrument sounds; the included library is very good, but I augment that with other sample sets that I have bought over the years - e.g. Kirk Hunter strings (http://www.kirkhunterstudios.com/).

I use NI Guitar Rig a lot too - it's not just for guitars.

• Members

Will do. I wish I had the disc space for some of these huge packages like NI Komplete.

I don't have the very latest version of Komplete (which I believe has grown again), but you don't have to install everything...

After initially installing all of it to try out, I deleted the things I don't need to save disk space and make it easier to find things.

Or you could put the samples on an external drive. :idk:

• Members

better yet would be to get Native Instruments Komplete
you get Massive, FM8, Kontakt, GuitarRig plus tons of additional instruments, including the retro synth pack
for standalone verb I like Rob Papen RP-Verb
for vintage synths I like the ones from Arturia and the Korg Legacy collection
but there are some pretty nice freeware synth VSTs as well
for instance

• Members

I don't have the very latest version of Komplete (which I believe has grown again), but you don't have to install
everything

After initially installing all of it to try out, I deleted the things I don't need to save disk space and make it easier to find things.

Or you could put the samples on an external drive.
:idk:

That's probably what I'd end up doing. Sorry for the noob questions. If I stick the samples on an external drive, I'd have to have it connected to play them back/edit the tracks, right?

• Members

Thanks, that's good advice Kevin. I will try to explore the bundled stuff as much as possible first.

No problem, mate. I trusted that you would do that anyway. :thu:

I don't use Logic myself, but know that most/all of the big name sequencers give you at least the basics in effects/instruments, so there isn't always a true need to add anything extra; it is possible to record/produce good music without adding more plugins.

That said, the included effects/instruments may tend towards the generic end of the spectrum, so a 3rd party, niche product specific to your needs and taste may then the best choice.

• Members

Get Kontakt and some instruments. For example, this little thing has:

Sonic Couture Omnichord, Sample Modelling The Trumpet and Sample Modelling Trombone.

I'll whack together a tiny song using a load of plugins for you, hold on.

• Members

That's probably what I'd end up doing. Sorry for the noob questions. If I stick the samples on an external drive, I'd have to have it connected to play them back/edit the tracks, right?

Yes, that's true. For portability, the external drive may be a hassle (you don't want to lose or break it obviously), but you could always find a way around it - rendering the parts so you can play them back as audio, or keeping just the main sounds you use all the time on your laptop's drive, along with space-saving, cut-down, basic instruments for when you're out and about.

• Members

Get Kontakt and some instruments. For example,
little thing has:

Sonic Couture Omnichord, Sample Modelling The Trumpet and Sample Modelling Trombone.

I'll whack together a tiny song using a load of plugins for you, hold on.

Thanks Jack.

• Members

My must-haves:

- M-Tron for those mellotron sounds

- Waves bundle with the CLA plugins

- PSP42 for the Lexicon PCM 42 delays

- T-Racks for the cool mastering plugins

- Guitar Rig 4

- Ampeg SVX for bass

How is T-Racks? Is it better than Ozone?

Ampeg SVX is amazing for bass! Now that Amplitube is free, I'm going to be actually paying for there stuff, the first amp I'm going buy is the flip top Ampeg from the SVX package.

Archived