Can Someone Give Me A Rundown On Vintage Marshalls?

rileykill

• Members

well vintage would imply pre JCM800 to me. if want to go the handwired purist type route, get a 1973 or earlier JMP Super Lead. 1973 was the year they started using PCB boards so some of them are the old school handwired and some of them are PCB. $1500.00 will easily get you one right now, it's a good time to buy. keep in mind these amps are extremely loud and clean and need pedals or an attenuator to get you the crunch. I've owned modded 70's Marshalls (extra pre amp tube gain stage) that get poo poo'd by purists but they {censored}ing slayed.

• Members

OK thanks a ton that's what I needed to know ---- pre '73. I saw some late 60's heads in the shop today in that price range. I'll ask about mods. This is gonna be a post-Christmas type of thing so I still have some time to mull it over.

• Members

If you can live without having a master vol, and can't afford a vintage 1959SLP: A Superbass of the early 70s like the one I had can usually be found for a lot less, and it is THE best sounding marshall amp impo. I had the second "channel" modded to SLP specs, blending the bass channel and the modded slp channel = :love::love::love:
Wasn't even an expensive mod if I remember correctly.

Having said that, 50watt heads will give you plenty of headroom. And I can btw second that pre-1973 jmp suggestion. Those are probably the best vintage marshalls out there that don't cost a fortune. Excellent work horses that take pedals really well.
Buy one, and play it loud.

• Members

i used to have one identical to ^ that one. my parents got it for me for xmas. helluva christmas present. super loud, and the 1st High-Sensitivity input was rather harsh and icepicky if you didnt have the other inputs jumpered. Was only able to crank it once before i sold it, and when i did it was insanely loud, but crunchy had to stand a ways back from it to really appreciate it.

• Members

yeah, those guys know their {censored}. they were the ones who made me jump the shark.

{censored}ing amazing amp. that one is a 1975 MV JMP (100w).

pure {censored}ing loud and mean, brilliant clean tone, on the low input you turn them up to max and they don't distort at all. loves all sorts of pedlulz.

on the high input you get sweet distortion if you can let it rip the way it should. no like... very high gain or anything, but {censored}ing gnarly as hell still.

couldn't be more satisfied. except if it had a sweet ass reverb.

• Members

In before will and parker (why can't I remember their usernames
:lol:
)

:lol: yeah humancertainty and misterstomach should be all over this. Actually, I think Parker's still on tour but Will's back and he'll drop some knowledge. Some of the vintage marshall's have some killer clean tones. I had a '73 Superlead that sounded {censored}ing awesome clean!

• Members

:lol:
yeah humancertainty and misterstomach should be all over this. Actually, I think Parker's still on tour but Will's back and he'll drop some knowledge. Some of the vintage marshall's have some killer clean tones. I had a '73 Superlead that sounded {censored}ing awesome clean!

well hello there, friends. i'm just got home on a one week break from tour. my girlfriend's acting weird so here i am on these stupid forums. i'm a huge fan of the 2203. it's the 100 watt master volume version. i have a jmp 2203 and a jcm 800 2203. i {censored}ing love those amps. they're super versatile for a single channel amp and can give you plenty of crunch without any pedals if that's what you're looking for (though that's not really how i use them). the non-master volume amps can't really do that without peeling the paint off the walls, and even then you're not going to get the crunch of a master volume model. that being said, if you use pedals for dirt, the clean tone of the super lead is {censored}ing insane. so good. the stuff dreams are made of. 50 watt marshalls usually will have the volume you need for most situations, but the hundred watts will remove any doubt. additionally, the 100 watt models have enough headroom to give you a lot better low end, which is really worth it. once you've known it, you'll really miss it when you play a 50 watter, even if volume isn't an issue. that's my two cents.

Archived