What can replace my fulltone OCD that...

Pewtershmit

• Members

has better EQ shaping knobblies?

I use my OCD as a gain channel replacement if I'm not able to bring my amp somewhere. Plug into a clean amp and I have that plexi-ish-jcm800 amount of gain.

Problem is I can't dial it in enough, especially if I have a really chitty amp thats super high endy like the ampeg j20. I just couldnt dial out the suck.

My other complaint is that it just doesn't sound good when I need to crank that knob for JCM800 territory. super compressed and pooply.

So what does the OCD thing ( you know nice tubey Marshally distortion) but

-has more eq options to dial it in better, presence control?

-Sounds a bit better/less compressed at its higher gain settings

-still does that slightly broken up "plexi" sound like the ocd.

-takes fuzzes + overdrives well obv

I've always had my eye on the Cattybread DLS jigger but I'm worried it doesn't have enough tone shapies. plus the new look is uuuugggllllyyy (kidding)

• Members

has better EQ shaping knobblies?

I use my OCD as a gain channel replacement if I'm not able to bring my amp somewhere. Plug into a clean amp and I have that plexi-ish-jcm800 amount of gain.

Problem is I can't dial it in enough, especially if I have a really chitty amp thats super high endy like the ampeg j20. I just couldnt dial out the suck.

My other complaint is that it just doesn't sound good when I need to crank that knob for JCM800 territory. super compressed and pooply.

So what does the OCD thing ( you know nice tubey Marshally distortion) but

-has more eq options to dial it in better, presence control?

-Sounds a bit better/less compressed at its higher gain settings

-still does that slightly broken up "plexi" sound like the ocd.

-takes fuzzes + overdrives well obv

I've always had my eye on the Cattybread DLS jigger but I'm worried it doesn't have enough tone shapies. plus the new look is uuuugggllllyyy (kidding)

Barber Custom Super Sport.

• Members

xotic bb preamp covered the ocd tones when i did them side by side, but goes further with the saturation although it does get more compressed past 1 or so, but in a good way

Both of these are great suggestions but i recently got the custom super sport and I'm incredibly impressed. The controls on the outside are great but after you tweak the internal trimpots it's a beast.

Definitely check one out pewts

• Members

^ i don't think he likes trimpots

Once you find a setting you like its not really something you need to worry about. With that said when your taste changes you can retweak it into something completely different. It does everything from simple sho/lpb style boosts to a ts style overdrive all the way to hot rodded Marshall distortion, it's insanely versatile.

• Members

Once you find a setting you like its not really something you need to worry about. With that said when your taste changes you can retweak it into something completely different. It does everything from simple sho/lpb style boosts to a ts style overdrive all the way to hot rodded Marshall distortion, it's insanely versatile.

not saying it ain't I just remember him bitching about internal trimpots

• Members

You are correct.

Trimpots are for assholes

Sounds like you've found your answer then!

JK...kinda.

Anyway, to me the DLS sounds too stiff and chalky and even less open than the OCD. Oddly, I preferred the Boss OD-3 to the DLS. It had a very similar sound but was a little more natural to my ears and had a wider range on its tone knob.

Beyond that, how about a tonebone classic, maybe?

I'd suggest a box of rock but those are rather dark.

Also, have you tried the danelectro knockoff? I kinda like the drive version 1 a little better than the real OCD.

• Members

i bet the dr scientist "the elements" will do the trick

I was going to suggest getting a The Cleaness and put in front of your OCD. That would do exactly what you want.

Other than that Plimsoul has some nice tone shaping options and does the Marshall JCM800 tubey type distortion to a T. I've used it on 5 different amps and it sounds great on all of them.

• Members

a Zvex Distortron? thats supposed to hit marshall territory real nicely.

as a matter of fact i've got one i could ship out to you to try/sell you. its got a real nice tone control plus a switch for 3 'bass' settings and a hi/low gain switch.

or maybe that new Blakemore effects mustang :idk: idk about the marshallness of it but it seems to have a great eq section

• Members

It really is that good! When I first got mine I thought man, This is a pedal that people are gonna dig. It took about 2 years however & recently TGP has been really loving this box. One person stated that it was among the top 5 od's that he has ever used. I agree.

• Members

Initially it wasn't even on my radar (seems like a lot of barber pedals are like that....but turn out to be great) but I got one in a trade and was shocked at how good it is. After tweaking the trimpots it has that OCD feel with a little less bass and compression

• Members

Barber Super Sport Rocks. I bought one and it is amazing what the internal pots will due. It has a Mid, Bass, Presence, Harmonic and Note trim pots inside and you can pretty much make the pedal anything you want. I have 4 Barber Pedals right now they are all great I hope to add more to my collection. (the SS knocked the OCD off my board)

• Members
Barber Super Sport Rocks. I bought one and it is amazing what the internal pots will due. It has a Mid, Bass, Presence, Harmonic and Note trim pots inside and you can pretty much make the pedal anything you want. I have 4 Barber Pedals right now they are all great I hope to add more to my collection. (the SS knocked the OCD off my board)

I concur!!

Archived