DOD FX90 experts

john l

• Members

Finally got one of this back in my possession and am looking for any info on calibrating the internal trimmers as well as figuring out the differences between all the revisions. Ive found a bunch of sites that get into them a little but nothing as far as the questions above. Thanks guys

• Members

an old clip i did when i opened mine up and fiddled with the trim pots.. i'll see if i can find any old threads..

clip is me tweaking the internal trim pots to show off the range of sounds. i set it to maximum delay time and feedback (which goes into oscilliation with the knob at 10).

I dont really understand what im shooting for with the adjustment is all. I get that you can make it sound different but I get the impression that this is a give an take kind of thing and that theres an optimum setting for each one where its not taking away from anything else ya know.

As far as trim pots being scary goes...

I know that the boss DM2/3 guys hate it when previous owners mess with the trimmers, makes me think getting back to where you started from can be kind of tricky. This is why Im hesitant.

Any info on the revisions?

• Members

i messed with the DM-2 and got another 10-20 ms out of the delay time without any noticeable effect on the delayed signal. the FX-90 can go a lot further and the trims have a larger range so can be fine-tuned more that the DM-2..

as i remember it, the DM-2 had a range of about 20% on the delay time to choose from (ie, the quality jumps massively within a very small turn), and the FX-90 is more like 60% useable range.

• Members

The FX90 only has three trimpots and is pretty easy to set up by ear. The trimpots are for the BBD bias, Delay Time, and Feedback. There were a few board revisions so you'll have to find which is which by trial and error but typically the delay time and bias are near the BBD chip (MN3005). The bias trimpot will basically make the delay either work or not work, just set it until there's the least amount of distortion. Delay time just tweak it till you get the most delay with the least ringing/noise. For the feedback trimmer turn the external feedback pot all the way up and the fine tune it to taste with the trimmer. If you want the pedal to go into oscillation sooner turn it down or if you don't want it to oscillate at all turn it up.

• Members

The FX90 only has three trimpots and is pretty easy to set up by ear. The trimpots are for the BBD bias, Delay Time, and Feedback. There were a few board revisions so you'll have to find which is which by trial and error but typically the delay time and bias are near the BBD chip (MN3005). The bias trimpot will basically make the delay either work or not work, just set it until there's the least amount of distortion. Delay time just tweak it till you get the most delay with the least ringing/noise. For the feedback trimmer turn the external feedback pot all the way up and the fine tune it to taste with the trimmer. If you want the pedal to go into oscillation sooner turn it down or if you don't want it to oscillate at all turn it up.

Thats what im talking about. Thanks man. This should be a link to the inside of my pedal maybe you can identify which is which. http://www.americaspedal.net/fx90/fx90_1-217k.jpg

• Members

I'm gonna guess fom left to right they are feedback, bias and time.

I can't tell which way you should turn those little bastards, but I've got a mint fx90 at the studio and can take a look inside. it's never been messed with. I won't be able to check it out until this weekend but happy to give it a look if it would be helpful.

• Members

I had an FX90 once. They sound great.

Gambit, is it possible to stretch the Delay time via the trim-pots without affecting the graininess of the repeats?

yeah, you can easily get another 50ms out of it i reckon. but once it starts going grainy it's a slippery slope into continuously worse-sounding repeats. although that's subjective :)

Archived