OCD fulltone vs Ibanez Tube Screamer

mike squires

• Members

I realize these are two different pedals...I must admit I don't know much of the OCD. I have the tube screamer...would it be worth getting the OCD or can I get much of the same out of the OCD? I use most of my heavy distortion from my Metal Zone. Would the OCD be a better option for distortion? Thanks

• Members

already have the tube screamer. I've got a mid 60's Fender Duel showman with a mid 60's Gibson cab. I usually play through my Epiphone valve jr. I am just looking for a good rock sound that is diverse. I like my screamer just fine...but is the OCD versitle....can I live without it?

• Members

Same idea, different sound. The OCD is a lot more flexible in that sound, it can do a very clean boost, and it can get into light distortion territory.The silver Dano Cool Cat Drive is an OCD clone you can get for cheap if thats a factor.

Most people here would also recommend you ditch the Metal Zone. I'm not sure what the big high gain pedal is now, but Zoom Tri-Metal, Zvex Box of Rock and Distortion, Proco Rat, Dirty Little Secret, and the Boss HM-2 have all been popular over the years. Then there's all the Big Muff variations, which is a fuzz, but can be used in a lot of high gain scenarios. Swollen Pickle and the Musket are quite popular.

• Members

Overdrives are like scotch, there are a few large categorical differences and a near-infinite number of subtle variations. There is a difference between the TS9 and the OCD, a lot of it has to do with the mid-hump of the TS9, which works well with Fenders.

So as a non-answer, I hope it was at least informative, and yes, you CAN live without it, the question is, do you WANT to live without it?

• Members

If I had both (and I did until last week), I'd go TS9->OCD. Set the OCD for unity volume, and a light crunch - you'll get a full range, touch sensitive dynamic overdrive. Then for more sustain, kick on the TS-9, set for slightly above unity volume, gain around 11 o'clock. Then you've got two very different flavours of overdrive individually or stack them for more.

I don't really rate the ocd once the gain is turned up, but for low gain it's a great pedal.

• Members

ts9 -> ocd is pretty much all you need for heavy rock into a slightly cleanish amp. With the fender and the gibson cab, you should be fine. If you play humbuckers, it's even better.

Also, the ts-9 has the mids sometimes the ocd is lacking so it fits in perfectly.

Archived