Effects Wiki

claytonjohn18

• Members

Dear effects users,

Is it unreasonable for us to construct a wiki (potentially hosted on harmony-central) that functions the same way wikipedia does?

It would be super beneficial, and if something is out of date, it's easy to update. Making threads about this stuff is all well and good, but when someone wants a tubescreamer, I just wanna say go here:

acapella.harmony-central.com/wiki/effects/overdrive/list_of_tubescreamers.php

Anyone into CS/web design that could comment on the feasibility of such a venture?

Anyone wanna volunteer to catalog the information that they have learned over the years? (I'm looking at DiscoFreq, Bieke, F&EHX4Ever, etc.)

This could easily be expanded into microphones, monitors, amps, guitars, preamps, speakers, string winders, tremolo units, etc.

I think it's about {censored}ing time.

• Members

why not just make pages on wikipedia?

Notability standards. My guess is the knowledge assembled might not have mainstream enough interest and would thus face the prospect of deletion. Having it on its own wiki means it would circumvent this and would allow posters to really get into the serious arcana that is FX knowledge.

• Members

Notability standards. My guess is the knowledge assembled might not have mainstream enough interest and would thus face the prospect of deletion. Having it on its own wiki means it would circumvent this and would allow posters to really get into the serious arcana that is FX knowledge.

effects is srs business

• Members

We could have HCFX resident experts.

Ryan could be the economic benefit expert.

V could be the human rights transparency expert.

Robo could be the "your pedals are not as cool as mine" expert

Ren could be the expert on Mexican-effects relations

Crxsh could be the effects day trading expert

Etc

• Members

We could have HCFX resident experts.

Ryan could be the economic benefit expert.

V could be the human rights transparency expert.

Robo could be the "your pedals are not as cool as mine" expert

Ren could be the expert on Mexican-effects relations

Crxsh could be the effects day trading expert

Etc

Hahahaha. ETI is the chancellor of Behringa.

• Members

There are a few wiki sites about pedals already (sometimes linked to forums), but they usually die after a few months.

The problem with "pure" community sites is they're usually a mess after a while, like the reviews on the old HC site: multiple pages about the same effects, just spelled different, errors (intentional or not),... (now they merged some of them, but I think this also happened for a few brands with similar names).

As for EffectsDatabase:

Input is always welcome (I made some changes so it's easier to give credit now) and I have plans for a few interactive features (can't say much more now). It just takes time because I have a fulltime job, a family and lots of "daily" work with the site (research/content/...).

Yes, I often use manufacturers' descriptions, mostly because of the huge amount of pedals on the site (16000!!!) and my limited amount of spare time. I also did that for a lot of brands/sites/products that disappeared, so you can still read that now. I also have a big archive (part paper, part digital) about older pedals (ads, manuals,...) that will be added too.

so kind of like effectsdatabase.com but only about the latest boutique pedals and without the vintage and interesting stuff, interviews, ebay feeds etc

LOL, thanks :D

Here are those interviews nightraven mentioned, more every day: http://www.effectsdatabase.com/interviews/brands (because of my problems in Google lately a lot of people probably didn't notice them...).

The eBay feeds aren't just those offered by eBay and used on most sites (results of 1 query) or a script you can buy (as certain sites use and spam about on Twitter), it's my own system that shows the most interesting related auctions first (based on a lot of parameters). I saw a lot of auctions I would have missed otherwise ;)

There are also a LOT of pedals you can only find on EffectsDatabase and they're not one-offs, just rare, obscure (like vintage pedals from unexpected countries),...

I get a lot of positive comments from visitors, pedal makers, artists,... but I see posts like this appear a few times a year (on different forums): about a "pedal encyclopedia", a "pedal wiki",... often by people who don't even know the site (I wonder if they ever searched for a rare pedal?). Maybe some of them can just help me to make it both "better" and "better known"? ;)

• Members

The only thing is, with this wiki it could discourage discussion on effects:

"Which Tube Screamer do I want?"

"https://wikieffects.org/tubescreamer"

"/thread"

Just sayin. There will still be the usually chat about some of the less common stuff, but it seems like it would encourage more off-topic stuff by giving a site to answer a lot of questions that should be on-topic for an effects forum.

Archived