EU/British Doodz...where do you buy your tubes at?

-Norge-

• Members

I thought only Americans say tubes, they should be valves ;p

Anyway I use Hotrox and Watford in the UK but your best bet for the continent is Tube Amp Doctor who have a very good rep with their own brand valves.

http://www.tubeampdoctor.com/en/shop_TAD_Tubes_amp_Accessoires/

http://www.watfordvalves.com/home.asp

http://www.hotroxuk.com/matched-valves-links-page-12ax7-6l6-909-0.html

• Members

i always bought them local, and just out some standard jj's or sovtek they had in my el84 amps.

lately i replaced my tubes in my laney lc15r, and my local store now has tube amp doctors el84,...

yes the old tubes were old, and i guess the el84 were also damaged, but when i put the TAD in, wow the amp began to shine :)

currently i only play the lc15r.. so TAD might be a good choice for you

• Members

I've never bought a tube so far, well just one vintage NOS 12AX7 on a flea market in Barcelona, still haven't found a good use for it ... all my amps still have original tubesn been contemplating to retube my old Mark I because I've been playing it a lot and I figured that after 25 years, it could use some new tubes, so took it to my service guy and he tested the tubes and told me to carry on with the original tubes.

So I would buy my tubes from him, he's some local guy that makes incredible amps (I have the first amp he ever made, using it as my main amp since I got it) and he carries a nice collection of NOS tubes

check out FAD

• Members

just ordered valves from watford valves, their website is still so basic though. Actually a bit annoyed at their checkout system: it doesn't include any clear information on the final price and shipping. It gives you a net price and you have to add %20 VAT to it. Why not give me the full price!?

• Members

just ordered valves from watford valves, their website is still so basic though. Actually a bit annoyed at their checkout system: it doesn't include any clear information on the final price and shipping. It gives you a net price and you have to add %20 VAT to it. Why not give me the full price!?

Thats why I don't use them any more. Pissed me RIGHT off that! Their matching isn't all that great either based on the last few quads I have biased up for people.

I can't praise voc roc enough, their selection isn't huge but everything I've had from them has been within a mA or 2 and he gave me a free mini torch which is handy to keep in your bag of tricks for setting up on dark places :lol:

• Members

I used to use Watford valves but last time I ordered from them I got a duff el84 and was met by quite a lot of attitude on the phone when I asked for a replacement - at first he said I'd biased my amp wrong, then when I told him it was an AC30 the guy said my amp was probably broken and he'd only accept a return if I had it checked over by a qualified tech. I did some research then and found I wasn't the only customer to be pissed off with them.

On top of that, their much hyped "Harma" brand doesn't sound all that special to me and on the rare occasion they have NOS in stock they're overpriced. Plus the VAT thing...

HotRox are always good - I've bought valves, pedals and spare parts from them and the orders always arrive really quickly. Once recieved a defective pedal from them and they replaced it without any hassle. I think you can have problems with orders no matter where you shop, it's how the company deals with you that sets businesses apart.

• Members

Yeah I did alot of researching on the Harma valves before placing a big order and it turned out apparently they were just hand picked JJ valves rebranded Harma, glad I didn't buy them in hindsight.

Also that VAT thing seems purposely deceptive.

It wouldn't surprise me if someone from Watford signs up to HC to tell us we're all wrong, they've done it before :lol:

• Members

I can't be arsed to argue this afternoon.... everything I say is just my personal experience which will may well be the opposite of others.

TAD (tube amp doctor) were the {censored}tiest sounding valves I've ever heard, they come stock in Laney's and mine sounded arse.

Personally I've never had any problem with Watford Valves in the 10 years I've been using them.

Harma ECC83's are the great sounding 12ax7's and the filament looks nothing like a JJ... so I dunno on that one.

These days I like the Reissue Tung-Sol which sound really good to me.

It's probably best not to believe anything you read on the internet, people have different ears and agendas.

Hotrox are good

Buy Russian

Different valves sound different in different amps.

• Members

The harmas are just a rebadge of other stuff, most likely bought from and relabelled by edicron. No different to ruby, mesa, GT and the ilk.

Hotrox have a good returns dept. although they have given me some horribly matched stuff in the last few years.

Archived