Good match for a Marshall Class5 stereo rig ?

SirJackdeFuzz

• Members

I feel like adding another amp to create a (((stereo))) rig with my Class5.

The Vox AC4 is deff on the short list of candidates.

Is there any other 5'ish watt amps that you think will be a good compliment to the Class5 ?

Fender Champion 600 perhaps ?

What do you guys think ?

Thanx

:wave:

If you want a clean amp to match with the C5, I'd suggest a PRRI. Probably more $ than you want to spend, but they're about equally loud when doing what they do best - the OD thing on the C5 and the cleanish sweet spot on the PRRI. I'd probably let the Class 5 handle the dirt and use the PR for the stereo effects. Get the PR on the edge of breaking up so if you did want to hit them with a boost or OD pedal, it would respond :rawk: too.

Or are you running the C5 "clean" and using pedals for all your dirt? In which case, a lower watt (such as the Champ 600) amp would probably be all you'd need to keep up, level-wise. The C5's a much quieter amp when running "clean" than when it's runny dirty.

• Members

If you want a clean amp to match with the C5, I'd suggest a PRRI. Probably more $ than you want to spend, but they're about equally loud when doing what they do best - the OD thing on the C5 and the cleanish sweet spot on the PRRI. I'd probably let the Class 5 handle the dirt and use the PR for the stereo effects. Get the PR on the edge of breaking up so if you did want to hit them with a boost or OD pedal, it would respond
:rawk:
too.

Or are you running the C5 "clean" and using pedals for all your dirt? In which case, a lower watt (such as the Champ 600) amp would probably be all you'd need to keep up, level-wise. The C5's a much quieter amp when running "clean" than when it's runny dirty.

Thanx for the info Phil.

About the C5, i run the volume at about 1:30, to 2 'o clock, so it gets nice and crunchy !

I am also still thinking what pedal i will use to split the signal - as i have various stereo-out units.

But that is no a problem.

Thanx for the info Phil.

About the C5, i run the volume at about 1:30, to 2 'o clock, so it gets nice and crunchy !

Then I'd definitely look for something in the 12-15W range in order to be able to keep up with the Class 5. That is, if you want it to be able to stay relatively clean and keep up in terms of volume levels. The Pathfinder or PRRI would both be good choices IMO. So would a (80s era) Super Champ, and maybe a Super Champ XD - I still have never heard one in person (XD), so I can't really recommend it, but it would be one I'd suggest trying out. IIRC, they're not too terribly expensive.

If you're looking for something a little more closely matched to the C5 that can do a bit better on the cleans (in terms of volume) and also rocks in terms of its OD, check out the VHT Special 6 Ultra. It's also 6V6 based, giving it a different sound than the EL84 equipped Marshall, and although I have never tried them side by side / together, I suspect they would compliment each other very well.

I am also still thinking what pedal i will use to split the signal - as i have various stereo-out units.

But that is no a problem.

:lol: For me the challenge becomes getting as many of them as possible in stereo... ;)

Are they any good? There's one local to me for not too much money.

Reports / opinions on them are mixed to be honest. I personally like the Champion 600, and think it's a cool sounding amp. I love the two-tone look of them, although the Gretsch differs in that regard. Yes, the stock 6" speaker's a bit undersized / weak - I'd stick a Weber in it. IIRC, they make one specifically designed for that amp. Some folks complained of cab rattle and less than outstanding OD sounds, but I honestly like the way they sound. I'm a sucker for 6V6's though, and if you're into EL84's (which are also very cool, but quite different IMO), then you may not like it as much.

They go for very low money, even new. Something like $170 or so MAP, so a used one should be priced accordingly.

• Members

, and if you're into EL84's (which are also very cool, but quite different IMO), then you may not like it as much.

They go for very low money, even new. Something like $170 or so MAP, so a used one should be priced accordingly.

It was tyhe 6V6 aspect that caught my attention 1st, when they came out.

• Members

If you're looking for something a little more closely matched to the C5 that can do a bit better on the cleans (in terms of volume) and also rocks in terms of its OD, check out the VHT Special 6 Ultra. It's also 6V6 based, giving it a different sound than the EL84 equipped Marshall,

This. I have a Special 6 Ultra and really like it. However, I don't use the Ultra (dirt) channel, preferring pedal dirt. So you could save a few bucks and get the regular Special 6.

• Members

I run a Musicmaster Bass Amp with my Vox pathfinder 15r. Either would go well with your Class 5 as the vox has GREAT clean tones and can get pretty loud. I would recommend running an ext cab or putting an efficient 10" speaker in it for more headroom/volume. The Musicmaster Bass Amp has the basic fender scooped clean sound, takes pedals well and the stays relatively clean when cranked.

Budget aside, I'd get a Morgan Abbey :D

• Members

Then I'd definitely look for something in the 12-15W range in order to be able to keep up with the Class 5. That is, if you want it to be able to stay relatively clean and keep up in terms of volume levels. The Pathfinder or PRRI would both be good choices IMO. So would a (80s era) Super Champ, and maybe a Super Champ XD - I still have never heard one in person (XD), so I can't really recommend it, but it would be one I'd suggest trying out. IIRC, they're not too terribly expensive.

If you're looking for something a little more closely matched to the C5 that can do a bit better on the cleans (in terms of volume) and also rocks in terms of its OD, check out the VHT Special 6 Ultra. It's also 6V6 based, giving it a different sound than the EL84 equipped Marshall, and although I have never tried them side by side / together, I suspect they would compliment each other very well.

:lol:
For me the challenge becomes getting as many of them as possible in stereo...
;)

I came in to say something similar.

Also, look in to Ceriatone. They make a super champ and a princton clone that are priced reasonably.

Archived