I never thought I'd be small tube amp guy,

Moustache_Bash

• Members

But this thing pounds! :love:

gWH06l.jpg

This thing sounds damn good, too. I'm really surprised how much gain I can get out of it. The tone knob is kinda weird, it reduces quite a bit of volume when you turn it counter-clockwise, but kinda nice because it can clean up the amp some. Only real complaint is that it has quite a bit of tube rattle, I guess that's pretty common with this amp.

And it's pretty much closed back, EFF YEAH.

Also before I wreck this thing by mismatching impedance, can I plug an 8-ohm speaker to the EXT.? This is what the manual says online:

12. SPEAKER 8 OHMS: The J20 Jet is

shipped with a cable connected from

this jack to the internal speaker.

13. EXTENSION SPEAKER: Use this 1/4"

TS jack to connect the amplifier to an

8 ohm extension speaker. The internal

speaker remains active when an extension

• Members

I've had mine for a few years now. Really cool amp.

As for tube rattle- put some dampers on your tubes. I put 2 little silicon rings on each power tube (4 rings total) and it killed all my tube rattle. HUGE improvement.

tubedampers-1.jpg

Do that and you'll be set.

And yeah, the tone knob kinda acts like a gain knob. Crank the tone and you'll get into overdrive much quicker. Love the sound of this amp cranked. Only thing that would make it perfect is if it had reverb, but I use a Chicklet and it's definitely good enough.

• Members

I've had mine for a few years now. Really cool amp.

As for tube rattle- put some dampers on your tubes. I put 2 little silicon rings on each power tube (4 rings total) and it killed all my tube rattle. HUGE improvement.

tubedampers-1.jpg

Do that and you'll be set.

And yeah, the tone knob kinda acts like a gain knob. Crank the tone and you'll get into overdrive much quicker. Love the sound of this amp cranked. Only thing that would make it perfect is if it had reverb, but I use a Chicklet and it's definitely good enough.

Thanks, Zappa. Are those specifically rubber rings for tubes, or did you just get them at a hardware store? As far as the reverb thing, my thoughts exactly. Gonna have to get some 'verb up in hurrrrr.

• Members

Thanks, Zappa. Are those specifically rubber rings for tubes, or did you just get them at a hardware store? As far as the reverb thing, my thoughts exactly. Gonna have to get some 'verb up in hurrrrr.

You can get them at a hardware store.

You can search for them on ebay but those dudes are just selling the same {censored} you'll find in a store at a nice markup.

• Members

Probably the best looking amps ever made!!!

I've only played through a Reverberocket re-issue in the late 90's and it sounded pretty good but was no better than a Fender Hot Rod at the time.

I'd love to try out some old Ampeg guitar amps like the Jet/Gemini etc.

• Members

$350 for a 'reissue' or for a few bucks more a '60s original - I'll take the latter.

Not to say those aren't nice amps - they definitely are - its just with the originals going for just a little bit more I wonder what the appeal is for those things.

• Members

$350 for a 'reissue' or for a few bucks more a '60s original - I'll take the latter.

Not to say those aren't nice amps - they definitely are - its just with the originals going for just a little bit more I wonder what the appeal is for those things.

mo vintage mo problems

• Members

I see your point, but availability is why. I don't see many reissues, and hardly any vintage ones.

• Members

mo vintage mo problems

My go-to amp is an original '64 Reverberocket and I've had absolutely no problems with tube rattle, either. It plays like a champ. Maybe I'm just a sucker for vintage stuff...Haven't played one of the RI's yet, but they seem pretty stellar too. May eventually get one as a back up or something.

Archived