OT - Any of you guys brew your own beerz?

d4rk0

• Members

Several of my friends and I have been meeting up every other week to brew a batch o' beer and it has been so much fun. I didn't realize what an art form it really was. There is just something so cool about a recipe that has been around for a thousand years. Anyway, we've got three batches bottled thus far - an Amber Ale, a Stout, and an IPA. We've got our second Amber in the Carboy right now.

1206110036a.jpg

It has definitely been a learning process, and it is certainly trial and error to some extent, but seeing what works and what doesn't, and getting to create something completely new and unique is why we do it.

The first Amber turned out a little too sweet, the first Stout was really good, but more like a Porter than a Stout, and we think we might have not let the IPA ferment long enough since we use priming sugar to carbonate during the bottling process. They are really really foamy, but they taste good!

1206110036b.jpg

Anyway, just wondering if anyone else was into brewing. Thought maybe we could share ideas, tips, and pics, maybe even arrange a local taste testing????

Cheers!

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I've done some brewing with my friends, it's a good time. I think it's more about the process then the finished product though. To be fair, I have had some real good homebrews (and some absolutely horrid ones). A big thing people sometimes overlook is how much cleanliness matters. If your stuff is not properly sterilized it can really mess with the beer.

• Members

I've done some brewing with my friends, it's a good time. I think it's more about the process then the finished product though. To be fair, I have had some real good homebrews (and some absolutely horrid ones). A big thing people sometimes overlook is how much cleanliness matters. If your stuff is not properly sterilized it can really mess with the beer.

yeah man, we are pretty OCD about sanitation. We've got a whole system setup - this tub is designated cleaner for tools/equipment, this tub is designated for cleaner for bottles, this is sanitizer for bottles, etc...

and the process is for sure the best part. of course, we haven't really had any real successes yet, so that might be the best part when we get there someday!

• Members

Several of my friends and I have been meeting up every other week to brew a batch o' beer and it has been so much fun. I didn't realize what an art form it really was. There is just something so cool about a recipe that has been around for a thousand years. Anyway, we've got three batches bottled thus far - an Amber Ale, a Stout, and an IPA. We've got our second Amber in the Carboy right now.

1206110036a.jpg

It has definitely been a learning process, and it is certainly trial and error to some extent, but seeing what works and what doesn't, and getting to create something completely new and unique is why we do it.

The first Amber turned out a little too sweet, the first Stout was really good, but more like a Porter than a Stout, and we think we might have not let the IPA ferment long enough since we use priming sugar to carbonate during the bottling process. They are really really foamy, but they taste good!

1206110036b.jpg

Anyway, just wondering if anyone else was into brewing. Thought maybe we could share ideas, tips, and pics, maybe even arrange a local taste testing????

Nah.

• Members

Thats awesome! How much space do you need to grow hops? Are they delicate, or could we grow them in Ohio?

You need some trellising or a fence you can train the vines along. It's easy and they grown like weeds. I'm in N.E. Ohio and I harvest about 8 ounces a year out of what started as 5 rhysomes (sp).

If you're into ales look for a variety like cascade or read the label on your favorite ale and see if they list the hops they use. I think I'll look to replace mine with cascade next February. Apparently you are supposed to plant new rhysomes in Feb however up here the ground is completely frozen solid in Feb... so I'll wait until late March.

• Members

We've been on brewing hiatus lately with some of my buds trying to finish up schooling this semester, but we've done probably close to 15 beers -- Foster's clone, Wheat, Guinness clone, Troegs Dreamweaver clone, Oaked Porter, a centennial blonde ale (our best), a super bitter IPA... the list goes on. It's a hell of a lot of fun, and totally worth it imho.

Two crucial resources that I've found are:

http://howtobrew.com/intro.html - gives you the full tutorial, a must read

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/ - great source for recipe ideas

• Members

My brother and my uncle brew, they even grew their own hops over the summer. I think the beer is fantastic
:thu:

They've had some messups though like putting too much yeast in a batch etc, and after some mistakes everything has been running smoothly.

Yeah I'm really optimistic. The guys I am brewing with are pretty experienced, and they really want to nail down a few recipes, and then at some point in the near future (if we come up with a few good ones we can consistently reproduce), applying for a liquor license so we can distribute it to a few local pubs.

• Members

A good home brew supplier should be able to order the rhysomes for you. They look like a bare root with a couple little green nubs on them usually. Most hops plants suppliers won't ship until February so keep that in mind when you order.

I have seen suppliers on the internet too. Check out those links Arcarsenal72 gave you. I'm willing to bet that there will be supplier lists or forum threads about where to get the plants.

Oh yeah, and keep a journal of everything you do for every batch. I took some time off from it and came back years later and really benefited from my old journal. There is no such thing as too much description to your process and end results.

Good luck and have fun! That's what it's all about. Don't forget you are supposed to drink some of your own homebrew while brewing your next batch (except the first time...).

• Members

I did it for a while, but when I started researching the chemistry of the local water supply and buying additives to make my water more like the water in England, I realized I was getting a little too carried away . . . I did make a hell of an IPA, though . . .

• Members

I did it for a while, but when I started researching the chemistry of the local water supply and buying additives to make my water more like the water in England, I realized I was getting a little too carried away . . . I did make a hell of an IPA, though . . .

Now that is awesome. {censored}, I should look into that!

• Members

I don't brew my own, but god DAMN do I love some Great Lakes brews.

I've considered getting into the brewing game, but I don't have the space in my apartment...

Great Lakes is absolutely one of my favorite American Brewers. A lot of Great Lakes Commodore Perry, Elliot Ness, and Lake Erie Monster were consumed in the making of our latest Stout. :thu:

• Members

Great Lakes is absolutely one of my favorite American Brewers. A lot of Great Lakes Commodore Perry, Elliot Ness, and Lake Erie Monster were consumed in the making of our latest Stout.

Good stuff! I also saw Columbus Pale Ale on your shelf, I have been digging on that for a while now. So good.

• Members

Good stuff! I also saw Columbus Pale Ale on your shelf, I have been digging on that for a while now. So good.

I didn't get any of the CPA... my buddies killed it before I got one. We did have some Dopplerock and Nosferatu too. Great lakes is the {censored}.

Archived