Harmony Central Forums
Announcement
Collapse
No announcement yet.

OT - Any of you guys brew your own beerz?

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT - Any of you guys brew your own beerz?

Several of my friends and I have been meeting up every other week to brew a batch o' beer and it has been so much fun. I didn't realize what an art form it really was. There is just something so cool about a recipe that has been around for a thousand years. Anyway, we've got three batches bottled thus far - an Amber Ale, a Stout, and an IPA. We've got our second Amber in the Carboy right now.

It has definitely been a learning process, and it is certainly trial and error to some extent, but seeing what works and what doesn't, and getting to create something completely new and unique is why we do it.

The first Amber turned out a little too sweet, the first Stout was really good, but more like a Porter than a Stout, and we think we might have not let the IPA ferment long enough since we use priming sugar to carbonate during the bottling process. They are really really foamy, but they taste good!

Anyway, just wondering if anyone else was into brewing. Thought maybe we could share ideas, tips, and pics, maybe even arrange a local taste testing????

Cheers!
    NEW STUFF FOR SALE! NOW WITH MORE FEELING!

Originally Posted by big_cat

hands down the most valuable forumite

I'm partly serious and fully erect.

yeah i tried it once. we tried to make an IPA, but came out more like a porter, tasted ok. i'll leave the microbrewing to people who know what they are doing, hahaha
    Guitars: 1962 Fender Strat RI, 1976 Fender Strat, 1955 Guild

Effects: OCD v3>DS-2>Teese Pic Wah>Muff>CE-5>Holy Grail>DL-4

Amps: Marshall Vintage Modern 100W Half Stack, Peavy Studio Pro 112

Comment

I've done some brewing with my friends, it's a good time. I think it's more about the process then the finished product though. To be fair, I have had some real good homebrews (and some absolutely horrid ones). A big thing people sometimes overlook is how much cleanliness matters. If your stuff is not properly sterilized it can really mess with the beer.
      --------------------------------------
      Poppin' Fresh

"I can rock the mic to silence by John Cage,
      With the arty flavor, I shoot the gift like a party favor..."

Comment

I've done some brewing with my friends, it's a good time. I think it's more about the process then the finished product though. To be fair, I have had some real good homebrews (and some absolutely horrid ones). A big thing people sometimes overlook is how much cleanliness matters. If your stuff is not properly sterilized it can really mess with the beer.

yeah man, we are pretty OCD about sanitation. We've got a whole system setup - this tub is designated cleaner for tools/equipment, this tub is designated for cleaner for bottles, this is sanitizer for bottles, etc...

and the process is for sure the best part. of course, we haven't really had any real successes yet, so that might be the best part when we get there someday!

Comment

Well good luck, I hope you get one soon. Also check out any of the local places that sell supplies for homebrewing and chat up the guys there the one's I've met and talked to have always been mucho helpful.
          --------------------------------------
          Poppin' Fresh

"I can rock the mic to silence by John Cage,
          With the arty flavor, I shoot the gift like a party favor..."

Comment

Nice pics
            I grow my own hops too although it's time to get a new variety.

Comment

I would love to give it a spin someday...i definitely have space but no time

Hope you stumble on a great recipe

Comment

Several of my friends and I have been meeting up every other week to brew a batch o' beer and it has been so much fun. I didn't realize what an art form it really was. There is just something so cool about a recipe that has been around for a thousand years. Anyway, we've got three batches bottled thus far - an Amber Ale, a Stout, and an IPA. We've got our second Amber in the Carboy right now.

It has definitely been a learning process, and it is certainly trial and error to some extent, but seeing what works and what doesn't, and getting to create something completely new and unique is why we do it.

The first Amber turned out a little too sweet, the first Stout was really good, but more like a Porter than a Stout, and we think we might have not let the IPA ferment long enough since we use priming sugar to carbonate during the bottling process. They are really really foamy, but they taste good!

Anyway, just wondering if anyone else was into brewing. Thought maybe we could share ideas, tips, and pics, maybe even arrange a local taste testing????

Nah.
                Winner of nothing, BOTB Raffle 2011

@Jenesis

Comment

I would love to give it a spin someday...i definitely have space but no time

Hope you stumble on a great recipe

Bro. Come to my house and we will drink them.

Comment

I brewed up a few batches several years ago, the easy pre mix kind. Recently picked up the ingrediants for an IPA. Scurred I'm gonna **************** it up, but it's fun.
                    Good deals: I've had 'em.

Originally Posted by LSDis4me

Drugs are bad.

Comment

Can't top perfection

So I don't even try.
                      I didn't come here to save whales, I came here to get laid and make rock 'n' roll

Comment

Thats awesome! How much space do you need to grow hops? Are they delicate, or could we grow them in Ohio?

You need some trellising or a fence you can train the vines along. It's easy and they grown like weeds. I'm in N.E. Ohio and I harvest about 8 ounces a year out of what started as 5 rhysomes (sp).

If you're into ales look for a variety like cascade or read the label on your favorite ale and see if they list the hops they use. I think I'll look to replace mine with cascade next February. Apparently you are supposed to plant new rhysomes in Feb however up here the ground is completely frozen solid in Feb... so I'll wait until late March.

Comment

We've been on brewing hiatus lately with some of my buds trying to finish up schooling this semester, but we've done probably close to 15 beers -- Foster's clone, Wheat, Guinness clone, Troegs Dreamweaver clone, Oaked Porter, a centennial blonde ale (our best), a super bitter IPA... the list goes on. It's a hell of a lot of fun, and totally worth it imho.

Two crucial resources that I've found are:
                          http://howtobrew.com/intro.html - gives you the full tutorial, a must read
                          http://www.homebrewtalk.com/ - great source for recipe ideas
                          Guitars: Gibson ES-339, Fender '72 Road Worn Deluxe Telecaster, Fender '62 Bigsby Telecaster Reissue, Fender 60's Stratocaster
                          Pedals: Korg Pitchblack > Danelectro TOD-1 > Catalinbread DLS > Keeley BD-2 > Retro-Sonic Phaser > Empress Vintage Modified Superdelay > Boss DD-6 > Thundertweak Delay > Catalinbread Semaphore > Hardwire RV-7
                          Amps: Marshall JMP 2104, Vox AC15C1

Good deals with: Keith SIO, homestar_kevin, thesockmonster, FLYING V 83, johnnyunitas, Sir_Dr_Lawyer, Used666

Comment

My brother and my uncle brew, they even grew their own hops over the summer. I think the beer is fantastic

They've had some messups though like putting too much yeast in a batch etc, and after some mistakes everything has been running smoothly.

Comment

My brother and my uncle brew, they even grew their own hops over the summer. I think the beer is fantastic

They've had some messups though like putting too much yeast in a batch etc, and after some mistakes everything has been running smoothly.

Yeah I'm really optimistic. The guys I am brewing with are pretty experienced, and they really want to nail down a few recipes, and then at some point in the near future (if we come up with a few good ones we can consistently reproduce), applying for a liquor license so we can distribute it to a few local pubs.

Comment

Working...
                              X