If you had the choice

Ryan.

• Members

hardwood flooring gets {censored}ed up too easy by big gear.

though I remember seeing some picture of a band recording an album at like a house on a rooftop and their {censored} was in this large atriumed room with {censored} spread out everywhere with hardwood floors. Looked amazing. Made me feel comfortable. I wish I knew where to find the picture. It was on flickr and posted here if anyone knows...

• Members

hardwood flooring gets {censored}ed up too easy by big gear.

though I remember seeing some picture of a band recording an album at like a house on a rooftop and their {censored} was in this large atriumed room with {censored} spread out everywhere with hardwood floors. Looked amazing. Made me feel comfortable. I wish I knew where to find the picture. It was on flickr and posted here if anyone knows...

3118622797_e23a185c33_b.jpg

• Members

hardwood floors suck for recording, everything sounds soooo bright. I have hardwood in my apartment, I gave up mic-ing amps and just use sims now, I got fd up with futzing with mic placement and EQ-ing. So carpet.

Yeah, BUT you also have the option to lay down rugs to dampen things up a bit. At least with hardwood you get a choice in the matter?

• Members

Yeah, BUT you also have the option to lay down rugs to dampen things up a bit. At least with hardwood you get a choice in the matter?

yeah, I see your point in having the option of the bright, which might be interesting when recording low volume bass tracks (living in an apartment and good recording with mic's is puttery work that hinders my flow when writing). I need to get some rugs. My recent attempts at recording vocals also sound like I am hesitant, because other people hear the endless tracking that I do cuz I sound like a sleep deprived greased up deaf guy from Family Guy mixed with Kermit the frog. The sound of the room brings out all of the nuances of my adenoidal catterwalling. Shudder...........

[video=youtube;jSFLZ-MzIhM]

• Members
yeah, I see your point in having the option of the bright, which might be interesting when recording low volume bass tracks (living in an apartment and good recording with mic's is puttery work that hinders my flow when writing). I need to get some rugs. My recent attempts at recording vocals also sound like I am hesitant, because other people hear the endless tracking that I do cuz I sound like a sleep deprived greased up deaf guy from Family Guy mixed with Kermit the frog. The sound of the room brings out all of the nuances of my adenoidal catterwalling. Shudder...........

:lol:

• Members

hardwood with rugs where needed. your drums will definitely sound better if they can fire down onto wood. Of course you will prob need sound treatment in the rest of the room (walls/ceiling) because the hardwood floor will be more reflective.

(For example: Bruce Swedien/Quincy Jones actually built a wooden platform for the drums on Thriller).

although I guess you could sort of fake this in a carpeted room but setting the drums on a piece of plywood or something.

Archived