NPD - Muza FD900 Reverb/Delay

gambit

• Members

I was thinking about one of these before but I think in the other thread something came up about build quality or something like that that just turned me off of it. I do like the idea of a mxr sized pedal with presets and tons of sounds in it though.

• Members

I did not like any of the Muza releases.

I prefer Behringer pedals if I'm on a budget. They're all essentially clones and are easy to replace if broken. It's a great idea but executed really poorly IMHO. The people I recommended this to 3-4 years ago or whatevs all bought one and still dig theirs so horses for courses I guess. Things I didn't like were confusing design, a glitchy (not in a good way) decay and sterile sounding.

• Members

where to start..

the reverb, although not as clinical as the RV-3/5, i still need to roll the tone back to about 1/4 (RV-5 was 0 all the time for me) but the trails are just squelched by a really horrible noise gate. (uploading a video now).

the 3 Hall modes are all 'ok', the Church mode is pretty tasty, but it's no Cave or RV-2-Hall2. the room and pring are nothing to write home about.

most disappointingly the reverse reverb is a bit rubbish. i bought it for reverse reverb and delays (combined and singular), but it's just nowhere near creepy enough. trails are shorter than i expected.

the delays. i can't really hear much of a difference between the digital and analog modes. the modulated delays don't have a very nice modulation - i ran a freeze before it just to check the wave-shape/rate/depth of the modulation and i didn't like it. definitely no DMM tonez.

uh what else.. the delays run into the reverb so are affected by the reverb's tone control. ie, try and get clear delays with a tone-back-off reverb and you get a mush of delays. i need to play more with the delays.

also with the levels up you get digital noise bit-crushing away in the background.

there's plenty more to discover, but initial impressions are not good. the Church mode might be redeemable (i don't have a reverb that goes 100% wet, and it is pretty dense sound) and the looper is good. and the 4 presets are really handy.

all those little negatives piss me off, but on the other hand it's a reverb/delay pedal with 4 presets and stereo in/outs for

• Members

I posted this review this past summer:

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/showthread.php?2781356-MUZA-FD900-Delay...-Anyone-know-anything-about-it&p=43322200&viewfull=1#post43322200

This budget priced ($95 shipped) pedal offers a feature set that exists in a niche somewhere between the BOSS RV3 and the EHX SMMH, but in many ways it actually manages to surpass both for all around features. The sound quality is useable, but it isn't going to replace anyone's DMM, TTE, or Fender Spring Reverb. The exterior construction appears to be solid, but my unit has not been road tested. I have not opened the unit to check interior craftsmanship. It is powered by a standard 9v battery or AC PS, it has the same pedal board-friendly format as BOSS compact pedals (size, jack orientation, etc.), and it comes with a very informative manual.

My overall feeling is that this pedal offers much more than most of us would expect from an effect pedal that costs less than a Benjamin. I highly recommend it for anyone on a budget who wants a lot of features to play with.

Features?

11 different reverbs (including, room, hall, church, plate, modulated, and reverse)

9 different delays (including stereo pingpong, reverse, modulated, and analog sim)

4 presets that can be cycled through using the footswitch when in Mode M

Tap Tempo

15 Second Looper that can overdub and use the reverbs simultaneously, but not delay

Option to have or not have delay trails when bypassing

Tone knob for reverbs

Individual mix knobs for reverb and delay

Stereo inputs and outputs

Attractive LEDs for functional monitoring

Any criticisms?

Cannot use the modulated reverb and modulated delay in tandem... It seems to overload the processor and create static. All other combinations work great though.

The modulation rates are not adjustable.

The tonal quality is good, but not exceptional.

• Members

I posted this review this past summer:

Have you tried the FD800 modulation pedal at all? I saw one on eBay and I was thinking about hitting it but someone in another thread spoke of a terrible volume drop which rendered the pedal totally useless. Any experience with it?

Anyway, HNPD.

Even if you only find a couple good settings, it's probably worth the price.

Archived