Laney VC30

Moustache_Bash

• Members

I tried one out a while back, I really didn't like it. Owning an AC30 I think I can make a pretty fair comparison. The Laney was in a similar ball park but a lot more trebly and slightly muddy when the amp was overdriven. The VC15 was much nicer however.

• Members

I'm not sure which is better, made in England or made in China
:lol:

Definitely made in China. :lol: Apart from the moral aspect, you can either have an amp made by consciencious workers who are poorly paid or a bunch of self absorbed drunken idiots.

Besides, if it's based on a Vox the chinese voxes are MUCH better than the made in England ones. :lol: Unless you want an amp that sounds best just before it catches fire, or really enjoy ground loops.

• Members

I've heard they're not too AC30ish, but from my own (extensive) experience with the Laney LC/VC line, the newest post-2008 VC30-112s and 210s are absolutely quality amps.

I'll get one again soon quite soon once my money is in order. Great sounds - lovely chimey cleans, and the drive is great on the newer ones. Improved aesthetics and effects loop too.

John Parish (when he and PJ Harvey released their second joint album in 2009ish?) seems to enjoy them:

Image.jpg

:love:...

• Members

owned one. a newer VC30 1x12 combo.

loved the cleans. but the drive isnt modern high gain, nor vox-like. i believe the seventy80 speaker is partly to blame, but for cleans its great.

a bit brighter compared to my old GH50L which was a bit warmer.

heres a knob tweaking demo i made...

[video=youtube;5bsqH-JSlt4]

and a A/B comparison with a friends LC50. both 1x12's with the seventy80 speaker

[video=youtube;LFDzyW7G8Pk]

[video=youtube;P3UciHjh5Kk]

• 3 years later...
  • Members

I've had a VC30 2x10 since 2004. It's been a fantastic amp. It's never been out of commission. I've run it through a JCM900 4x12. I typically run a 1x12 cab Wharfdale speaker, with two 10" Vox Bulldog speakers, I took out the HH Invaders. The louder you play through it, the better it sounds. Both channels sound very nice. I've played Tele's and Epi's out of it, RAT and Muff, it sounds awesome. Mine is UK made. I'm running a Sovtek 12AX7 in V3, JJ's in V1, V2, and Tung-Sol for EL84. While it is very Voxy, especially the clean channel. With the Sovtek in V3, and at higher volumes with the drive between 6-8, it sounds very Marshall like. JTM45-ish. Gets very good feedback. Great amp, and very affordable!

• Members

I bought a LC50 off of the bay for 150 dollars. It was really dirty and full of leaves. Must have been stored in a shed. I cleaned it up and used it for church. Takes pedals great. It came a destroyer speaker. Sounded like crap. I changed the speaker to a Celeston GT12T-75. Made it sound so much better. I ended up selling it to a friend at work. I didn't realize what I had being such a real amp noob. I am now trying to get it back. If you have one, don't get rid of it.

Archived