Recommend me a versatile OD pedal...

AlexMC

• Members

Just bought my first tube amp but it's completely clean...I need a dirt pedal or two for the following tones: Gary Moore, David Gilmour, Peter Green, BB King. All I've got is a Digitech Bad Monkey but it's not very transparent and doesn't have enough drive for some applications...

Considering the Okko Diablo but it's kinda expensive...

• Members

If you want all of those tones as well as something transparent, you might best best looking at different pickup configurations.

If you use humbuckers, both Peter Green and BB King used phase switches - a pretty easy little mod for any guitar.

For a transparent overdrive I'd always recommend the Paul Cochrane Timmy.

• Members

you're gonna get as many answers as their are forum members.

easy place to start that is inexpensive is an OCD, a Keeley Blues Driver, or a Tube Screamer type thing.

Catalinbread makes some cool pedals "flavored" like your favorite amps....Formula No. 5 (tweed), WIIO (hiwatt), Dirty Little Secret (marshall)

• Members

If I could give you one piece of advice, it is this:

In general, use the price or quality of your amp, or the levels at which you play (or your gig) to determine how much you should spend on overdrive pedals. Bedroom hacks with Klons are for TGP. If your amp is a Peavey Classic 30 or a Hotrod Deluxe and/or you only play at home, don't buy anything expensive. It is a waste of your money. I'm not trying to make assumptions or judgments about you, incidentally.

Thusly, if the amp is cheap or lower wattage, I'd look into an MI Audio Crunchbox or Tube Zone, or even just a Boss OD-3 or SD-1 (my choice). If it's got a really good clean sound, you might do well to look into the Wampler line.

But what is your amp? This would help a lot.

• Members

get the Okko Diablo - it sounds more like a fender amp and with the right settings on higher gain
dumble-like
... similar pedals in sound, quality and flexibility are in the same price range. Checkout the Baber-Site and product line!

:rolleyes:

TGP that way ------------------------->

tgp.jpg

• Members

^ why? where is the funny part in your post?? - i just tried to help the op. To know a bit about ODs and gear is not the "TGP thing"... but to buy just the new unknown hyped pedals (like walrus audiosiron horse ;) ) maybe

EDIT: ah i used the the word "Dumble-like"... oh my god i'll burn in hell for that :cry:

Archived