Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recommend me a versatile OD pedal...

Just bought my first tube amp but it's completely clean...I need a dirt pedal or two for the following tones: Gary Moore, David Gilmour, Peter Green, BB King. All I've got is a Digitech Bad Monkey but it's not very transparent and doesn't have enough drive for some applications...

Considering the Okko Diablo but it's kinda expensive...

I really like my WIIO. Check out something by catalinbread.

Comment

The OCD is always a good place to start.

Mine is still on my board after 4+ years.
      I trust:duderanimous, wacopacco, CiceroTJones, veil x2, moon shadow, SirJackedFuzz x2, dap99, Stubacca, onyxrhino

VT-40

Comment

Dr Scientist The Elements. It is easily the most versatile dirt pedal I have ever played.
        Originally Posted by DunwichAmps

meh. more fuzz and dist

Comment

EarthQuaker Devices White Light - check the out some demos

a few good brands with nice product lines of overdrives and dirt pedals: Barber, DMB, Greenhouse, HAO, Machine Head Pedals, Menatone, Okko, Rockbox, Rockett, VFE, Wampler, Weehbo, Wilson, Xotic etc. etc. etc.
          Good Deals with: CM1000, Hides-His-Eyes, HeartfeltDawn, Kayzer, kpd78, Neoflox, Sikor, SilenceSketches, Snufkino a. WAWBanks... !!"Sometimes you've got to stand out to fit in."

Comment

If you want all of those tones as well as something transparent, you might best best looking at different pickup configurations.

If you use humbuckers, both Peter Green and BB King used phase switches - a pretty easy little mod for any guitar.

For a transparent overdrive I'd always recommend the Paul Cochrane Timmy.

Comment

may i suggest the Skreddy Lunar Module Deluxe. its quite versatile and can do lots of tones, from pretty much clean boost to subtle overdrive to all out fuzz and heavy ass fuzz with everything in between.
              YᵒᵘOᶰˡʸLᶤᵛᵉ OᶰᶜᵉRobopimp wrote:Chat crüe is srs crüeFor Sale: Ibanez DML-10, Boss TW-1, Boss FZ-2/3Good deals with: Duderanimous, Overwhelmed987, Jules-RM, DoubleBarrel, HotRats, Fusion1, IRG, barney steele, Aaron SS, Urinate Forever, Raintes, crowquill, Blakemore Effects, Aimmar Cair, lefort_1, killthelights, 9720575 (CHUCK!)

Comment

you're gonna get as many answers as their are forum members.

easy place to start that is inexpensive is an OCD, a Keeley Blues Driver, or a Tube Screamer type thing.

Catalinbread makes some cool pedals "flavored" like your favorite amps....Formula No. 5 (tweed), WIIO (hiwatt), Dirty Little Secret (marshall)
                Good deals with: TravvyBear, TD Moyer, modeerf, starmansam, dyer_maker, Reaganomics!, frenchji

Gods of Harvest

Comment

For a transparent overdrive I'd always recommend the Paul Cochrane Timmy.

You're going to get a million different recommendations - and this is mine, as well.
                  ... puppets jerking on their strings ...

Comment

For Gilmour, I would recommend something like the Skreddy Lunar Module. I'm using a Muff w/ the Tone Wicker switch to put myself into that tonal range and an Analog Man modded SD1 for light to mid gain rhythm and modern country sounds.

Comment

I think this is a very versatile pedal. You can get just about any tone you want out of it.

Comment

the problem is - which kind of drive sound the OP want. To much and different artists as example...

Maxon ODs are also pretty good imo.
                        Good Deals with: CM1000, Hides-His-Eyes, HeartfeltDawn, Kayzer, kpd78, Neoflox, Sikor, SilenceSketches, Snufkino a. WAWBanks... !!"Sometimes you've got to stand out to fit in."

Comment

If I could give you one piece of advice, it is this:

In general, use the price or quality of your amp, or the levels at which you play (or your gig) to determine how much you should spend on overdrive pedals. Bedroom hacks with Klons are for TGP. If your amp is a Peavey Classic 30 or a Hotrod Deluxe and/or you only play at home, don't buy anything expensive. It is a waste of your money. I'm not trying to make assumptions or judgments about you, incidentally.

Thusly, if the amp is cheap or lower wattage, I'd look into an MI Audio Crunchbox or Tube Zone, or even just a Boss OD-3 or SD-1 (my choice). If it's got a really good clean sound, you might do well to look into the Wampler line.

But what is your amp? This would help a lot.
                          Currently using:
                          Ibanez RG1570 (DiMarzio MegaDrive bridge) - Peavey Royal 8
                          Board:
                          RMC Wizard Wah (2005)
                          EHX Small Stone (Big box)
                          Boss SD-1 (Modded by PedalMods UK, 3-way gain voicing selection)
                          Ernie Ball VP-JR
                          Boss DD-3 (1987)
                          T-Rex Fuel Tank Jr.
                          Good dealings with: yourguitarhero, woolyh

Comment

Have a look at a Rothwell Tornado - they're about

Comment

YᵒᵘOᶰˡʸLᶤᵛᵉ OᶰᶜᵉRobopimp wrote:Chat crüe is srs crüeFor Sale: Ibanez DML-10, Boss TW-1, Boss FZ-2/3Good deals with: Duderanimous, Overwhelmed987, Jules-RM, DoubleBarrel, HotRats, Fusion1, IRG, barney steele, Aaron SS, Urinate Forever, Raintes, crowquill, Blakemore Effects, Aimmar Cair, lefort_1, killthelights, 9720575 (CHUCK!)

Comment

Working...
                              X