Any good/decent lesser known Boss dirt?

iodine74

• Members

See lots of references to SD-1, DS-1, OD-1, OD-2®, FZ-3, HM-2, BD-2, DF-2, and disparaging the MT-2.

Are any of the others worth it, even on the cheepz? I know there are several variants and combos of the Overdrive and Distortion OS-2, SD-2, OD-3, DS-2,MD-2,PW-2?

Perhaps not for their intended purpose (ie, HM-2 as a shoegaze machine)?

• Members

OD-3 is nice.

OD-3 is {censored}ing killer. It sounds awesome on its own and it stacks really well with other ODs and fuzzes in my experience. I wish I still had one.

I always thought the Dyna Drive looked cool, but I've never played one.

I really want to try the new boost/feedback pedal. That looks useful.

• Members

I had to return the new Bosster/Feedbacker because it went nuts. The guy at the store told me it was a tracking issue due to it being digital... sounds right to me.. every time you would hit the string it went dead for a second then faded back in, so if you did fast palm-muting it sounded like a bad tremolo pedal... Anyway, I just got my money back. Too bad because I loved it when it was working.

Other Boss dirt I love....

HM-3 (less fuzzy Big Muff sound imo)

FZ-2 (beyond heavy)

FZ-5 (great Octavia, not a bad Fuzz Face)

OC-3 - (in Drive mode it is a great octave-down fuzz)

OS-2 - (when boosting an already dirty amp it is a pinch harmonic scream machine)

• Members

OD-3 is {censored}ing killer. It sounds awesome on its own and it stacks really well with other ODs and fuzzes in my experience. I wish I still had one.

I always thought the Dyna Drive looked cool, but I've never played one.

I really want to try the new boost/feedback pedal. That looks useful.

Yeah the OD-3 reminds me of a DLS a little bit but clearer and more versatile.

I liked it a lot when I had it. Then I stupidly traded it to some douchebag.

• Members

The HM-2 is reasonably overlooked as a distortion, I think.

It's really nasty sounding, and pretty much doesn't do subtle (both of which being what most detractors despise about it). The gain knob could be replaced with a 3-way switch (literally; there is no change in-between the three 'positions'), but the EQ is quite usable. The lows knob can make it quite woolly if you want that, and the highs knob can bring in some nasally high mids for early metal (ish) sounds. It has a vague Marshall-driven metal crunch sound to it (IMO), but at the same time, it's very fuzzy and very nasty.

I imagine it works nicely in Muff or RAT applications (Mr. Gilmour used it in the late '80s; rhythm guitar on On the Turning Away is a good example IMO), but it works well for boosting an amp with the level high and the gain on zero.

Good pedal, anyway. The SD-2 from what I've heard sounds good as well, and I wouldn't mind trying an OS-2.

• Members

I've always wanted to try one of these, but the 99% chance I'd be really disappointed in it has always made me see sense.

2ynfe37.jpg

This was the first pedal I ever owned. I thought it was amazing at the time.

Trust me, you don't want one (bees).

Still got it somewhere.

• Members

I've heard good things about the PW-2 ... supposedly something of a muff alternative (don't know how true that is, or if it resembles the circuit at all). I bought a MD-2 for like 40 bucks on ebay kinda by accident. Very heavy and full. Didn't keep it that long because I wanted the few extra bucks that I could get by selling it, but it seemed like it might be worth exploring more for those heavy HUM like tones (then again just get a soundtank right?).

Archived