Recommend me a Clean Boost, please!

dwerlin

• Members

Hey,

So, I'm looking for a clean boost to use with my Marshall Class5, with no coloration or EQ shenanigans going on inside (transparent is key).

My goal is to kick on the boost to emulate the volume knob on the amp going up from 4 to 5~6 (via a stomp box, so that I wouldn't need to keep manually tweaking the volume at the amp).

Looking to spend under $100 for this.

Thanks!

• Members

The Booster, black one, is more transparent, totally transparent I would say. It also acts as a buffer and "lives up" your signal. Much better than the white mxr, which is more a colored booster.

I had one but really didn't get along with the Astro Tone, it brightened up an already bright setup with my tele. But my guess it has to be fabulous with normal/dark setups.

• Members

Barber Launch Pad. Doesn't get any cleaner than that.

I have one and love it. I use mine to split my signal on my bass board to keep a clean signal and fuzzed channel.

An alternate suggestion for the OP. Use an EQ pedal to CUT your signal and turn your amp up 4 or 5 clicks. Then, when you want "boost" you click OFF the EQ pedal that is cutting your signal and voila, natural amp boostage. Click the EQ on and your signal is cut for rhythm and quiet use.

• Members

Thanks guys, so MXR makes both the Micro Amp and the Booster-Line Driver...what is the difference between the two that makes up the $20 in cost?

I have owned both, the Booster/Line Driver has a flat EQ and incredible clarity. The Microamp gets a little loose and flubby in the low end to my ears. The Booster/Line Driver also has a pretty blue LED, never underestimate the power of a blue LED.

• Members

Thanks for all the replies, the MXR/CAE Boost/Line Driver seems just what I'm looking for. I'll have to check out an EQ also (the MXR 10-Band EQ looks cool, has a dedicated volume control...though it is more pricey than the Boost/Line Driver).

• Members

You want something with a tone knob with the Class 5 IMO, that amp gets brighter as you turn it up (at least mine does). A Fromel UP! has worked well for me.

Yeah, I do notice that with any drastic increase in volume on the Class5, though not too much with small increases. I do want to basically allow myself to have this amp on "2 settings" via footswitch, but to retain (as much as absolutely possible) the actual amp's tone/feel/gain at each of those settings (so that it would really be just like I walked over to the amp mid-song and adjusted the volume dial).

Archived