Parallel effects loops? Lehle, Xotic etc

DaveinLondon

• Members

Has anyone got experience of running pedals in parallel loops? There's a few loop pedals out there with wet/dry blends: Xotic, Lehle, GigRig etc. If there is any perceptible benefit, is it worth the price of these units? Dumb question: how does a 100% wet loop differ from running the signal through the pedal without a loop?

http://www.xotic.us/effects/x_blender/

http://www.lehle.com/products/frameset_l1.php?country=gb?=en&L1_Link=Parallel_L

[video=youtube;9t7ZLYdLPuw]

• Members

I was so obsessed with running my effects in parallel that I bought 2 amps for this purpose. Then I realized all I did was have two different delay subdivisions running at the same time. In my opinion.. isn't worth the hassle. You can do some cool things.. but most likely you can buy a pedal to do those certain things.

The benefit of running a pedal at 50% instead of 100% would be for dirt. Say you got this really nasty fuzz that you like but there is absolutely no clarity.. that's where the parallel loop comes in handy so you can blend in some of your dry signal for clarity. Or you can just buy some sorta fuzz with a dry blend control.. or just get a fuzz with more clarity.

• Members

They're really handy for rack effects, as you can have delay trails on units which dont' necessarily sup[port it. What you'd do to achieve that is leave the loop permanently engaged, and kill the input signal to the delay to bypass it. Because you're only killing the input signal, the delay repats will fade out naturally. Also some rack units (Lexicons spring to mind here) do not have semaless patch changes, so if you have them in a series loop you'll have a half second drop out when changing presets. Running those units in a parallel loop means your dry signal will never drop out when changing presets etc.

• Members

You also have to bear in mind that if you're using digital effects, you need to be able to run the effects unit itself 100% wet. Otherwise you end up with comb filtering, as the slight latency on the dry signal within the effects unit will mix with your analogue dry signal a millisecond later and create like a static flange tone. This isn't a problem with analogue effects, or with difital effects which maintain an analogue dry path.

One really good use is for the Digitech Whammy. Often people would like the option to be able to mix the whammy effect with some dry signal, and as the Whammy has no mix control, the only way to achieve it is by running it in a parallel loop.

Archived