I had an epiphany last night...

mhuxtable

• Members

we played a show last night with one of the most amazing live bands I've ever seen (called Jane Jane Pollock).

We were all talking backstage, being friendly, etc...I could tell these people were incredibly creative & lived an artistic lifestyle...they paint, they play music, they make art, do crafts, etc.

Anyways, we were talking & one of the members was talking about this pedal he found....it would take your note and repeat it and it would get quieter as it repeated...and it had a tap tempo that you could keep it in time! AND it had some kind of looper on it....he was amazed by this....

a {censored}ing delay pedal.

it made me realize, i spend so much time on this damn forum (which is a wealth of knowledge and lulz) that i'm not making music as much as i should or being as creative as i should. this band had one of the most complex & interesting sounds i've heard in a LONG time...their live show was energetic, creative...just incredible....they concerned themselves with writing & performing music, not every piece of gear they could find.

lesson learned: i spend too much time online & not enough playing music.....that has to change.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I have friends that are amazing musicians with great tone and could care less what they use or what else is out there.

Chuck Berry said it best when he was asked why he just checks his gear like luggage at the airport: "It's just tools, man."

• Members
it made me realize, i spend so much time on this damn forum (which is a wealth of knowledge and lulz) that i'm not making music as much as i should or being as creative as i should. this band had one of the most complex & interesting sounds i've heard in a LONG time...their live show was energetic, creative...just incredible....
they concerned themselves with writing & performing music, not every piece of gear they could find.

lesson learned: i spend too much time online & not enough playing music.....that has to change.

It's a good lesson to learn, but IMO it's not like there's any direct correlation between your level of interest in gear and the quality of your music. Plenty of smelly hippy types who'd be blown away by the idea of an electric guitar make {censored}ty music, plenty of people with a ton of gear make awesome music and vice versa. No need to go Amish with your setup, but if you or I chose to spend less time on HC and use that time to make music I think it would probably be a good idea. :thu:

• Members

i know what you feel Matt. But just stay true and do what you want.

it is always good to get a little slap into the right way... but be yourself and dont try to cover others lifestyle! you are intressted in gear and you like to talk about gear. why not?

you think it is wrong and you have to do other things? - so just do it.

for me is gear a second hobby... but thats me. I am intressted in music production and the technic behind etc. i give this, my own music and band the same time and respect as my famalie, friends, my coffee in the morning, a good book, being lazy, the work etc. Sure you cant do all things for 100% and you cant do all things at the same time.

- thats life...

Archived