Harmony Central Forums
Announcement
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Good Fuzz for Bass in a Heavy Metal band...

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not here to say what's better or best. I don't ****************ing know.But I do know this, Jeff from High On Fire uses a Pharaoh, and used it to record the new record. Jonathan from Torche uses one too, also on the new record. Scott from Weezer is using a Pharaoh, and a whole slew of other guys...Including myself.

Mentioning it's on the High on Fire record was more than enough cred in my book. Haha. Pharaoh rules. I used it on my bands demo and on a single we just recorded. I use a dual amp rig, but the Pharaoh is a huge staple to my tone. I have used it with a bass through my Bassman and it was ****************ing rad.
    My mother doesnt like my avatar.

Originally Posted by diocide

I used to have a brass pick, but I stopped using it. After using it, my fingers would smell like i fingered a Terminator and I just couldn't get past that. I'm a ****************ing weirdo, I know.

Church of Wolves

http://churchofwolves.bandcamp.com

Comment

Where can I hear it? Can you email it to me?
      Originally Posted by Buggin' Out
      Hey, Sal, how come they ain't no brothas on the wall?
      Originally Posted by NITROHOLIC
      loud enough is like dividing by zero, you can imagine it, but cant achieve it.

Comment

The link to our FB page is in my signature. There are a couple videos in the doom room as well.
        My mother doesnt like my avatar.

Originally Posted by diocide

I used to have a brass pick, but I stopped using it. After using it, my fingers would smell like i fingered a Terminator and I just couldn't get past that. I'm a ****************ing weirdo, I know.

Church of Wolves

http://churchofwolves.bandcamp.com

Comment

I'd go with a Pharaoh, it doesn't make your low end disappear like a Muff does.

Comment

RIght on, all lowend is intact, and fuzzed, depending where you set the knobbie thingeees. No need for a clean blend here...
            Originally Posted by Buggin' Out
            Hey, Sal, how come they ain't no brothas on the wall?
            Originally Posted by NITROHOLIC
            loud enough is like dividing by zero, you can imagine it, but cant achieve it.

Comment

I use a Bass Blogger. You can switch it to fuzz or OD, so it is really flexible.
              Originally Posted by buddhapaugh

Rocking the spandex AND the depends!

Comment

I'd definitely say make sure you get a clean blend with whatever you're using. Makes your tone sound infinitely better, IMO, since you don't lose all your low end. It's your tone, just dirtier and sexier. Haha
                Blakemore Effects (I now sell Dr. Scientist and DMB pedals in addition to my own.)
                My pedal company.
                Facebook page for Blakemore Effects

Comment

tube screamer for the growl...
                  Good Deals with: CM1000, Hides-His-Eyes, HeartfeltDawn, Kayzer, kpd78, Neoflox, Sikor, SilenceSketches, Snufkino a. WAWBanks... !!"Sometimes you've got to stand out to fit in."

Comment

I'd definitely say make sure you get a clean blend with whatever you're using. Makes your tone sound infinitely better, IMO, since you don't lose all your low end. It's your tone, just dirtier and sexier. Haha

totally agree.
                    I would start by buying a Boss ODB-3, just because it has built in clean blend, between that and the eq it can be dialed in quite nicely. the topper is that it's cheap, sounds huge and can cut through a mix.
                    great transactions with: pointblank73, duderanimous

Comment

Swollen Pickle handles bass great on the cheap side. To my ears tho you can't beat the Megalith although it's a lot more expensive but it's the heaviest and most bass heavy fuzz I've ever heard.
                      Originally Posted by EL KABONG

Sometimes I plug in and it just sounds TOO GOOD and I cant handle it for some reason, so i just have to unplug.

Originally Posted by Zachman

yup you're right, I'm wrong... Happy?

Comment

Bass Big Muff. Keep some cleans in their for tightness, also on your amp try to dial away all sub-bass, the kick drum is already covering that spectrum. The best is to try to fill out the lower mid frequencies that the drums and guitars don't cover.
                        WTS/WTT: Boss GT6B
                        MXR Bass Di+

Like Dubstep/D&B? Check me out at:
                        http://www.youtube.com/user/Foreignsik
                        http://soundcloud.com/foreignsik

Comment

I used a musket fuzz with my jazz bass for heavy stuff and its pretty much one of the most awesome sounds things i've ever heard. Plus you could really tighten up the sound with the focus knob.
                          Gear
                          Orange Thunder 30
                          Peavey 5150 II
                          Emperor 2x12
                          First Act and Fender Guitars

WTB: First Act Sheena or White Epiphone Sheraton!

Comment

A very short clip of my Jazz Bass into a Musket.
                            broke my hand on a pineapple… didn't even care

Comment

Not here to say what's better or best. I don't ****************ing know.But I do know this, Jeff from High On Fire uses a Pharaoh, and used it to record the new record. Jonathan from Torche uses one too, also on the new record. Scott from Weezer is using a Pharaoh, and a whole slew of other guys...Including myself.

I can attest to the quality of Jeff's tone. I've never tried my Pharaoh on my bass, to be honest.
                              My band: http://facebook.com/indiandoom

Originally Posted by christianatl

It's new butt **************** day.

Happy?

Originally Posted by misterstomach

i don't know if i'd want to go on tour if i wasn't going to do anything i could get arrested for.

Originally Posted by .homewrecker.

If there is only a few dB diference between 30 and 100 watts then it works both ways, why are you getting on my **************** for using a 100 watt amp when a 30 watt amp is practically just as loud just has less balls?

Comment

my buddy uses an hm-2 in his death metal band, it sounds awesome on the recordings. he toured with it too i believe.

Comment

Working...
                                X