Harmony Central Forums
Announcement
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Good Fuzz for Bass in a Heavy Metal band...

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah but Cliff also does a good disappearing act when Metallica starts riffing (maybe more to do with their production on those early albums). His solos cut because he used a Morley Power Wah Fuzz, one of the harshest fuzz sounds I've ever heard, even before it's paired with a wah! Kind of depends what role you want for bass in the band I guess.
    2011 Best Bass Board
    Jazz... Yeah

Comment

Nothing wrong with fuzz on bass, but if I were in a heavy metal band, I'd be looking for something in the overdrive or distortion realms. The fuzz might be too loose and huge?

My favorite pedal in a stoner rock band playing bass was a Wounded Paw Attack Goat. Really nasty powerful dirt sounds that didn't fade away into a mix....which is both good and bad.

Muffs, muff clones and the ODB-3 will easily get lost.....but I've had some luck with the ODB-3 and a mid focused clean tone. The ODB-3 can sound pretty huge.

OF course a RAT is always nice, and the distortion on a MXR DI+ is decent for metal.

Clean blending can help with saving your low end, but eventually I ditched the BS and just ran the pedals straight.
      good deals with: nearly everyone.
      Previous Moniker tiles: JoshuaTSP, Science! & GAS KING

Comment

Cliff "The Good Member of Metallica" Burton used a Russian Muff, if I remember correctly!

Edit: The below posts are right, they didn't exist yet, but he used a plain Big Muff and a Morley Fuzz Wah

ODB-3 is still tits.
        huh

Originally Posted by misterstomach

I'm more concerned that people **************** their pants and cry when i play than i am that it sounds good.

Comment

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yH5Ad0_Ajw8&feature=related

Here's a classic Burton example. Morley PWF on the opening, Muff on the song. Now that you listen to this isolated track, listen to the regular song.
          2011 Best Bass Board
          Jazz... Yeah

Comment

Wasn't the bassist disappearing act in Metallica largely due to Hetfield dialing in his gear like a ****************ing clown and they buried the bass in the mix of the records?

Comment

Boss FZ-2? One of the BAT pedals?

Comment

Woolly Mammoth

Beated.
                Or Sanford and Sonny Bluebeard.
                ... puppets jerking on their strings ...

Comment

The mammoth is terrible for the kind of metal he's playing. I would strongly recommend not buying a fuzz pedal if you're doing Swedish DM meets Metallica style metal.

That kind of bass tone is traditionally a cranked SVT or an OD pedal. Most bands used the ODB-3 but there are a lot of things out there nowadays that will be better. Other than the ODB-3 definitely look into a Sansamp if he isn't going to be running a real SVT.

Fuzz is great for anything downtempo or riffy but would just be a garbled mess on bass at the tempos he'll be playing.
                  Grind
                  http://soundcloud.com/thekraken

Comment

Not to toot my own horn, but I build a pretty cool bass fuzz called the Thunderhorse. Its a fuzz circuit with a clean blend. You can dial in just a tad of fuzz and you get a pretty cool overdriven amp sound, or a ton of fuzz with a little bit of the clean signal to retain a lot of the bass frequencies lost in the fuzz. I'm selling them for $100 so that I can get as many out and as much feedback from players as possible.

EAD Thunderhorse
                    When I Play Pedal Company: ElectroAudioDestructors.com

Comment

Supercollider

Sounds immensely bad when recorded.
                      THAT AND THE VATICAN (MY BAND)

Comment

If only one guitar player I'd be inclined to muff it up. If there's two, just a bit of grit, JUST A BIT. You've got enough problems on your hands dealing with two metal guitarists in one band, be the bigger man and avoid adding to the chaos.
                        Breaus, check out my youtube channel. pls.

Comment

Supercollider

This. Or Black arts pharaoh.
                          My mother doesnt like my avatar.

Originally Posted by diocide

I used to have a brass pick, but I stopped using it. After using it, my fingers would smell like i fingered a Terminator and I just couldn't get past that. I'm a ****************ing weirdo, I know.

Church of Wolves

http://churchofwolves.bandcamp.com

Comment

This. Or Black arts pharaoh.

Ha! I knew you'd chime in with that.
                            You're the Pharaoh of the Pharaoh.
                            Still want to try one.
                            ... puppets jerking on their strings ...

Comment

Ha! I knew you'd chime in with that.
                              You're the Pharaoh of the Pharaoh.
                              Still want to try one.

It has yet to be repalced. Dunwich Nick built a FAC off for me. See how ti holds up to the Pharaoh. Hoping I can give the Pharaoh a break for a bit. Want to try the Black Forest when I get the cash to do so.
                              My mother doesnt like my avatar.

Originally Posted by diocide

I used to have a brass pick, but I stopped using it. After using it, my fingers would smell like i fingered a Terminator and I just couldn't get past that. I'm a ****************ing weirdo, I know.

Church of Wolves

http://churchofwolves.bandcamp.com

Comment

Not here to say what's better or best. I don't ****************ing know.But I do know this, Jeff from High On Fire uses a Pharaoh, and used it to record the new record. Jonathan from Torche uses one too, also on the new record. Scott from Weezer is using a Pharaoh, and a whole slew of other guys...Including myself.
                                Originally Posted by Buggin' Out
                                Hey, Sal, how come they ain't no brothas on the wall?
                                Originally Posted by NITROHOLIC
                                loud enough is like dividing by zero, you can imagine it, but cant achieve it.

Comment

Working...
                                X