Harmony Central Forums
Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Good Fuzz for Bass in a Heavy Metal band...

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good Fuzz for Bass in a Heavy Metal band...

A friend of mine is starting a heavy metal band and he's wondering what would be a good Fuzz pedal for Bass. Would the Pharaoh work for bass, or are there better pedals out there?

Woolly Mammoth

Comment

What kind of metal? Thrash, Diamondhead/Metallica style stuff, Doom, Death, ... ?

Regardless of the answer, get a pedal that lets you blend dry signal or a dedicated dry looper. Competing with double kick means your bass frequencies have to be tight and your attack has to be fast otherwise you get lost.
      2011 Best Bass Board
      Jazz... Yeah

Comment

Swole Pickle
        bandcamp soundcloud last.fm myspace facebook

transactions

Comment

What kind of metal? Thrash, Diamondhead/Metallica style stuff, Doom, Death, ... ?

Regardless of the answer, get a pedal that lets you blend dry signal or a dedicated dry looper. Competing with double kick means your bass frequencies have to be tight and your attack has to be fast otherwise you get lost.

in flames/arch enemy with some Metallica influences as well, fits under heavy metal but its harsher than 80s but lighter than like death metal

Comment

Supercollider
            http://deadhandcollective.blogspot.com - my band
            http://divinemotherrecordings.com -my label
            http://divinemotherrecordings.bandcamp.com
            http://acapella.harmony-central.com/...l=1#post425143 99 - good deals

Comment

I don't think fuzz is the best thing for that kind of metal. The Boss ODB-3 is tits, though.
              huh

Originally Posted by misterstomach

I'm more concerned that people **************** their pants and cry when i play than i am that it sounds good.

Comment

Bluebeard is the only answer
                O)))

Comment

Have him save the money and just get a plan old Big Muff used. He'll thank you later.

Comment

I'll be different and not suggest a muff variant (though it's a proven choice). Scooped mids mean becoming Tom Araya in Slayer: felt but never, ever heard. Try something that's more of an overdrive or light fuzz that can blend with the dry bass (for attack). If you want to know something off the wall, for a time I had the Electro-Harmonix Steel Leather pedal and running that AFTER the bass big muff was surprising. Super aggressive treble, cut like an ice pick, almost Big Black sounding. I always thought if I played a metal band I would put a fuzz and the steel leather in a blend loop and it would slay. Try it out if you can.
                    2011 Best Bass Board
                    Jazz... Yeah

Comment

I don't think fuzz is the best thing for that kind of metal. The Boss ODB-3 is tits, though.

Cliff "The Good Member of Metallica" Burton used a Russian Muff, if I remember correctly!

Edit: The below posts are right, they didn't exist yet, but he used a plain Big Muff and a Morley Fuzz Wah

Comment

I doubt they had Russian Muffs in Cliffs time but I could be wrong
                        O)))

Comment

Cliff "The Good Member of Metallica" Burton used a Russian Muff, if I remember correctly!

came here to post big muff.
                          Originally Posted by Yarbicus

I love you.

Originally Posted by Yarbicus

I STILL love you!

Originally Posted by CountGrishnackh

I know that bag. I know it well. Liquor store pron. He ain't dead yet!

Official Traverser Reverbnation
                          Youtube
                          Soundcloud

Comment

I doubt they had Russian Muffs in Cliffs time but I could be wrong

Yeah, I just looked it up -- my mistake. He used a Fuzz Wah and a regular ol' Big Muff.

VVV Thanks, corrected

Comment

i don't think they were making russian muffs yet during his lifetime. i should know what he used, being a big fan of old metallica, but i don't. i don't really know **************** about his gear.

bass definitely sounds better when i'm not playing it, so i stay away from them and all. but i know the musket actually sounds pretty good on bass in a metal set up. humancertainty can speak to that more, as he actually has been known to play bass in metal bands and i saw him using one once.

Comment

Working...
                              X