Off topic TV stuffs.

Stevenglass

• Members

So i've been rocking this {censored}ty sony tv for like 20 years...they are bricks man and the picture was pretty decent.....I loved it to death but today i knocked it over and it exploded literally lol. Well, i had to get a temp replacement tv...this is what i ended up with (paid 129, it's for our bedroom, it's really close to the bed so it doesn't need to be giant)...http://www.google.com/products/catalog?hl=en&rlz=1C1CHFX_enUS456US456&gs_upl=12221l12356l1l12614l2l0l2l0l0l0l0l0ll2l0&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.,cf.osb&biw=1366&bih=667&q=19+inch+sansui+lcd&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=17236937468086597312&sa=X&ei=rpcKT6b0A4SgtweWtZSUBw&ved=0CGoQ8wIwAQ

It says everywhere on the box it's hdtv...And there's an hdmi plug, but i saw a few websites saying this isn't hdtv. If there's an HDMI it's HDTV right?

Question 2: I actually like this little tv, was planning on returning in 2 weeks to get this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16889234048

But idk...What does HCTV'S think?

• Members

I'm not sure about those TVs at all. The link you provided does say 720p, so I'm confused as to how sources are saying it isn't HDTV. Any links you can provide? This has peaked my curiosity.

I still rock a TV with a built-in VCR, so I can't really say I'm an expert from a consumer level, but my parents have been buying Vizios like crazy, and I really enjoy them when I stay there. I really thought they were rebrands until I researched and found out they're just great undercutters.

• Members

Oh. Well here's whats throwing me off. It should say in the manual/back of tv the p amount. like 720(most likely) or 1080 but it doesn't. So i figured they had a box/manual they use for 3 similar models one being not hdtv. I guess after what you said im pretty sure it's 720p though...FWIW it's got great picture quality not even hdmi'd.

• Members

720p is not considered Full HD, 1080p is. On a 19inch it might be a little harder to notice the difference but you should definitely be able to see the difference if you look at it more closely. You are basically rendering 720 lines of pixels vertically instead of 1080...

• Members

Basically there are three formats for hi-def. 720P, 1080i and 1080P. Your TV supports the lowest of the three. If you have cable TV, they likely support 720P and 1080i. BluRay players support 1080P and some computers do. I don't think much else does though.

We have a 720P set in the guest room and while I don't think the picture quality is quite as good as the 1080i sets, it's still pretty close and way better than standard TV.

FWIW, I'm not sure you can even buy anything any more that isn't some form of hi-def.

I don't think I'd buy Westinghouse, but if you do, this one is 1080P. The one you linked to is 720.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16889234046

• Members

Oh. Well here's whats throwing me off. It should say in the manual/back of tv the p amount. like 720(most likely) or 1080 but it doesn't. So i figured they had a box/manual they use for 3 similar models one being not hdtv. I guess after what you said im pretty sure it's 720p though...FWIW it's got great picture quality not even hdmi'd.

How are you getting signal into the set? You need either HDMI or component connections to deliver hi-def picture. If you're using coax or standard AV cables, you're not seeing hi-def. I kind of doubt you'd even notice on a set that small though.

• Members

This TV is not getting cable run into it. it's only going to be for xbox and xbox's built in netflix.

I don't know anything about the XBox, but if you're not using HDMI or component connections, you're not getting a hi-def picture.

• Members

My bedroom TV broke yesterday too, coincidentally. I temporarily replaced it with an old circa 1993 Magnavox 13" I had. The thing renders depth so well, I'm tempted to keep it. LCD is like >90% there but still not quite.

I think you're obsessing too much. 19" for watching crappy Netflix streams through wi-fi to an XBox it doesn't really matter if it's 1080, 720, or even standard definition. In 19" I'd take a 720 TV with good picture quality over a 1080 with unknown quality any day of the week.

Of course if your real question is 19" or 32" you have to decide if you want the bigger tv. At 32" the pixel count makes a difference.

Archived