Seymour Duncan "Everything Axe" set for strats...anyone use this?

IRG

• Members

Here are the descriptions for each pickup. I could get this set for about $150 new

Seymour Duncan Everything Axe Set

Color: White

Bridge: JB Jr. model(SJBJ-1b)

Middle: Duckbucker(SDBR-1n)

Neck: Little '59 model(SL59-1n)

This set works for every style of music and each pickup is a true humbucker in a single-coil sized pickup that will drop right into a Strat.

JB Jr. model (SJBJ-1b)

High output single-coil-size humbucker. Great for everything from heavy blues to heavy metal.

This twin coil design pickup gives you the character of our popular JB model humbucker in a single-coil size. Its adjustable pole pieces more closely emulate the magnetic field of a full size humbucker and allow you to fine tune the balance of your strings. You can expect great harmonics and a sweet high-end. Compared to Hot Rails, the output is reduced and there's more treble response. Comes with four-conductor hookup cable. USA Patent No. Des. 355,207.

For all well-balanced instruments. Works equally well with maple and rosewood fingerboards. Players: Joe Perry/ Aerosmith; James Pennebaker/ Delbert McClinton; Sebastien Lefebvre/ Simple Plan; Jeff Trott & Todd Wolfe/ Sheryl Crow; Melle Vasquez/ Nancy Sinatra; Jennifer Batten/ Jeff Beck Band; Alex De Rosso/ Dokken

Duckbucker - SDBR-1

Vintage output single-coil-sized humbucker. Excellent for country, pop, surf, rockabilly, blues, ska and classic rock.

Using a design and a voicing based on Vintage Rails, Duckbuckers incorporate six fully adjustable pole pieces together with a unique, split blade design. You get all the warm tone, cool output, and outrageous "quack" of a vintage Strat? pickup, but no hum. Though tonally similar to Vintage Rails, the mini pole piece design behaves more like a traditional pickup when string-bending. Comes with four-conductor cable. USA Patent No. 5,525,750.

For all well-balanced instruments. Works equally well with maple and rosewood fingerboards. Players: Jennifer Batten/ Jeff Beck Band; Chuck Garvey/ moe.; Mike Scott/ Prince; Joy Basu/ Jessica Simpson; Nick Lashley/ Alanis Morissette & Mick Jagger; Lou Toomey/ Brooks & Dunn

Little '59 - SL59-1

P.A.F.-voiced single-coil-sized humbucker. Great for country, jazz, blues, funk, classic rock and heavy rock.

This little brute was designed to impart the warm, smooth tone of an old "Patent Applied For"(PAF) humbucker in a direct replacement, single-coil size. It possesses an even, dynamic response, and its adjustable pole pieces allow the guitarist to fine tune the string balance and dial in just the right amount of punch. Compared to the JB Jr., it has less output and more upper-mids. Comes with four-conductor hookup cable. USA Patent No. Des. 355,207. Comes with four-conductor hookup cable.

For all well-balanced instruments. Works equally well with maple and rosewood fingerboards.

Seymour Duncan Everything Axe Set Players:

Bill Frisell; Audley Freed/ Cry of Love & Black Crowes; Courtney Love; Jake Kelly/ Gary Allan; Jon Hudson/ Faith No More; Brad Fordham/ Jimmie Dale Gilmore & Kelly Willis; Ron Laster/ James Brown; Glen Campbell

• Members

Frankenstrat ( - dunno the exact username, ...the guitar teacher from NY with the nano boards) used this PUs in his Strat IIRC

Good call, I seem to recall that now, maybe he'll show up tonight...

I put my strat for sale on TGP, sold it in 10 minutes tonight. Kinda surprised me. I'm going to pick up a basic standard some time next month hopefully, and mod it a little bit.

• Members

The 59 is really good. I haven't played a Duckbucker. The JB is great for certain things, but it's a very poky sounding pickup. It's got a lot of output and the midrange screams, but it lacks a little bass IMO. I used to always use JBs for tech metal stuff, I think they're great for that, but they aren't the warmest sounding pickups around

• Members

I had this set in my strat before I switched to the Corgan Dimarzio set. It's not bad, but I wasn't particularly fond of the JB jr. I found it to be rather thin and harsh sounding. Very midrangey. The duckbucker in the middle position is good for clean tones, gets a good surfy sound. The lil 59 in the neck is kind of muddy.

I gave the set to my nephew and had it put in his strat, but with the lil 59' in the bridge and the JB jr in the neck. Much better that way.

I have a full size JB in the bridge position of my Schecter Tempest Blackjack and I don't really like the full size one much either. Same complaints as with the JB jr.

• Members

Single coil sized humbuckers don't sound as good as their full size counterparts, so unless you don't have the routing to go HSH, I guess its an alright way to go. You will lose pretty much all of the strat tones though.

Also, I've had very few guitars in my hands where I thought the JB in the bridge sounded decent, and none of them were strats. Gross in strats unless you have a real dark amp.

• Members

OK, sounds like I'm going to rule this set out. The JB won't work for my setup. I might look at the DiMarzio Area single coils (technically a humbucker I guess) that are supposed to sound really good, or I could stay traditional, and put in in a set of Fralins in it, could get them for about $200 new. I'm mostly concerned initially with the bridge pickup, strats are usually too ice picky with my Vox, so something darker would be preferred. I could still go with the SD Lil '59 in the bridge, and then more traditional like single coils in the middle or neck. I do tend to use the middle or middle/center position with my strat the majority of the time.

• Members

guitar fetish pickups? they seem pretty nice, and cheap.

I've been looking at them. Not sure what set I would choose, there's so many. I've had their '59 humbuckers before in a LP. No improvement over the MIK Epi pickups that were in there before, so I'm a little leery. But that's just one pair of pickups, some of their offerings are very well received. I do like their prices, that's for sure.

• Members

I wached an buch of video and yes some seemed no different then the stock. there was one set I booked marked on my home computer that seemed to make a lot of difference. I'll try to post when I get home. they were a single coil set by the way.

Archived