Harmony Central Forums
Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Seymour Duncan "Everything Axe" set for strats...anyone use this?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ahhh I'm pickup shop myself :snax:
    Originally Posted by Naterel "All bands suck period"

Comment

I had this set in my strat before I switched to the Corgan Dimarzio set. It's not bad, but I wasn't particularly fond of the JB jr. I found it to be rather thin and harsh sounding. Very midrangey. The duckbucker in the middle position is good for clean tones, gets a good surfy sound. The lil 59 in the neck is kind of muddy.

I gave the set to my nephew and had it put in his strat, but with the lil 59' in the bridge and the JB jr in the neck. Much better that way.

I have a full size JB in the bridge position of my Schecter Tempest Blackjack and I don't really like the full size one much either. Same complaints as with the JB jr.

Comment

Single coil sized humbuckers don't sound as good as their full size counterparts, so unless you don't have the routing to go HSH, I guess its an alright way to go. You will lose pretty much all of the strat tones though.

Also, I've had very few guitars in my hands where I thought the JB in the bridge sounded decent, and none of them were strats. Gross in strats unless you have a real dark amp.
        !!!

Comment

Certainly seems like this set would take the Strat out of a Strat.

In which case, what are you left with?
          <div class="signaturecontainer">I didn't come here to save whales, I came here to get laid and make rock 'n' roll</div>

Comment

checkout the p-rails from SD, Very very cool pickups.
            !!!

Comment

OK, sounds like I'm going to rule this set out. The JB won't work for my setup. I might look at the DiMarzio Area single coils (technically a humbucker I guess) that are supposed to sound really good, or I could stay traditional, and put in in a set of Fralins in it, could get them for about $200 new. I'm mostly concerned initially with the bridge pickup, strats are usually too ice picky with my Vox, so something darker would be preferred. I could still go with the SD Lil '59 in the bridge, and then more traditional like single coils in the middle or neck. I do tend to use the middle or middle/center position with my strat the majority of the time.

Comment

guitar fetish pickups? they seem pretty nice, and cheap.

Comment

guitar fetish pickups? they seem pretty nice, and cheap.

I've been looking at them. Not sure what set I would choose, there's so many. I've had their '59 humbuckers before in a LP. No improvement over the MIK Epi pickups that were in there before, so I'm a little leery. But that's just one pair of pickups, some of their offerings are very well received. I do like their prices, that's for sure.

Comment

Maybe something like these: http://www.guitarfetish.com/1963-Strat-Vintage-Wound-Professional-Pickup-Set_p_2093.html

So here's a question, if you went with a mint green pickguard, what's the right color pickup cover? vintage white, cream?

Comment

I wached an buch of video and yes some seemed no different then the stock. there was one set I booked marked on my home computer that seemed to make a lot of difference. I'll try to post when I get home. they were a single coil set by the way.

Comment

The 59 is brilliant in the bridge position.

i agree, well atleast with the tele version. i use a 375k pot in my tele with the lil 59. nice cross b/w the 250 and 500s.

Comment

I'm thinking of getting a mint pick guard as well. I'm think ing black covers. mint cookie ice cream is what I'm think ing.

Comment

The dimarizo area pickups are great. Theyre a tad fatter so for someone who doesn't like ice picky your made in the ehade
                            !!!

Comment

The dimarizo area pickups are great. Theyre a tad fatter so for someone who doesn't like ice picky your made in the ehade

Yeah this is exactly what I would want. I've heard nothing but good things about the Area pickups. I've heard great things about their 36th PAF humbuckers too.

Comment

I'm thinking of getting a mint pick guard as well. I'm think ing black covers. mint cookie ice cream is what I'm think ing.

Hmm, black covers with mint - that does remind me of one of my favorite ice creams. I'm still leaning towards a vintage look though, not sure...

Comment

Working...
                                X