Hey Jaguar dudes.

shaun126

• Members

I have a CP Jag and it's awesome. It's better than all of the MIJ Jags that I've played.

I have not played an AVRI, so I can't speak to that comparison, but I think the CP Jag is a great instrument and well worth the money.

I got mine for like $550 which was a steal as far as I'm concerned.

• Members

I have an AVRI....one big thing to me is the bridge....I don't like the tune o matic style bridges on the CPs.....I prefer the vintage shoe bridge. And the radius on the AVRI is more curved (7.25)....so you have to get used to that.

But I love my AVRI.....amazing guitar....but if you don't mind the bridge and prefer a 9.5 radius, go with the CP

The best thing you can do is play them - as the pickups and bridge systems are very different, as are the necks.

Both are great guitars but both are supremely idiosyncratic, as they're Jaguars. You'll love it or hate it.

How would you describe the differences between the necks and pickups Mike? :)

• Members

I'm at work, but later I'll upload.

cool cool. i got a jaguar recently and am loving it. i went in looking for a decent newish one but ended up getting a MIJ 'cobain' jaguar with dual humbuckers. really not a nirvana fan and thought i was set on single coils but it just sounded and played great and came with upgraded bridge / tuners etc.

hope you enjoy yours they are awesome guitars

• Members

How would you describe the differences between the necks and pickups Mike?
:)

The 9.5" radius is pretty obviously on the CP Jaguar - if you're a lead player and you like to do the widdlies and bend a great deal you're going to find it much more reliable in terms of not choking out. This is also allied to the adjustomatic/TOMstyle bridge which is way more stable in terms of if you're a heavy handed strummer. Nothing is going to move out of place - however it's still not perfect - it feels very different and also isn't without buzzes and rattles of it's own. The CP seemed to have more heft than the vintage and CIJ/AVRI Jaguars I've played which I know you're not a fan of Phil - it's not a hugely clubby neck but it's definitely got more to it than the Japanese and American profiles.

As fior the pickups - it's pretty stark.. the CP pickups are much, much hotter than the CIJ, AVRI and vintage pickups I've played - and as a result they have a healthier bass response but are very prominent in the mids and less so in the top end - so this is definitely more of a modern sounding guitar in all ways. If you're into heavier sounds the CP is the way forward as it's less prone to squealing (though not immune), but it's definitely not all that typically vintage sounding.

• Members

It looks exciting to me, but I'm all tapped out for guitars - I just can't justify buying another. I have a Jaguar and a Mustang and that's all I ever wanted really. Plus I live in a 1-bed flat with my girlfriend in London - space is at a premium considering it's also where I build all my pedals!

We're looking to move to Bristol this year so maybe we'll have some more space then and I can start thinking of such things. The P90 Jaguar looks like it'll be a great cool looking workhorse rock guitar for a bunch of indie/rock kids - but whenever I see the stripped down ones I always miss the chrome plates and trem - that's just me though, I'm a hopeless romantic for the 60s/70s stuff.

Plus the colours could be more interesting. My Jaguar is sunburst but I wish it was one of the surf pastels.

Archived