Dream Crusher or some other fuzz face?

t-rey

• Members

I need some fuzz face in my life. I have never had one and feel like one would fit in nicely with my board and the style of music I tend to play (stonery riff type {censored}). I have been looking mostly at the EQD Dream Crusher, because all of the clips sound giant and amazing. But, since I have never had a fuzz face I thought I would post and get some opinions.

I already have a Twosome with the Fix'd side set up with all four stages engaged for explodey velcroy goodness. Is there any real overlap between a fuzz face and the Twosome?

Am I missing anything by getting a fuzz face without a bias knob?

Does the Dream Crusher do 'classic' fuzz face toanz?

Any other pedals I should be checking out?

• Members

I have one - its great, just another tweaked fuzz face but very well done and probably one of the best value for money pedals I've got. Sounds pretty much as you'd expect for a fuzz face, fairly high gain but its germanium so its got that squishy quality. It looks cool too .. I think so anyway.

There's a bias adjustment trimmer inside too btw.

I also have an oxfuzz which sounds great too - darker and smoother, would recommend.

So many to fuzz faces out there .. some get really expensive for not a massive difference in quality.

• Members

I dig the dream crusher, it's up there on my "top whatever" list.

It's a bit surprising for a germ fuzz, as it's pretty gainy and has a crushing (see what I did there) low end that isn't muddy like most fuzzfaces can get.

I guess you could cop "classic" tones with it but I always find myself playing stoner/doomy stuff with it :lol:

• Members

Could always snag a fulltone '69 mkII it has an external bias knob and a contour knob for additional tone shaping. I have an original '69 and I love it...That being said I still want a dream crusher.

It's doesn't get to terribly saturated so you might have to hit it with an od first to get the gnarlys.

• Members

Could always snag a fulltone '69 mkII it has an external bias knob and a contour knob for additional tone shaping. I have an original '69 and I love it...That being said I still want a dream crusher.

It's doesn't get to terribly saturated so you might have to hit it with an od first to get the gnarlys.

I have been looking at both the 69 and 70 - they are on my short list if I don't end up with the Dream Crusher.

• Members

I need some fuzz face in my life. I have never had one and feel like one would fit in nicely with my board and the style of music I tend to play (stonery riff type shit). I have been looking mostly at the EQD Dream Crusher, because all of the clips sound giant and amazing. But, since I have never had a fuzz face I thought I would post and get some opinions.

I already have a Twosome with the Fix'd side set up with all four stages engaged for explodey velcroy goodness.
Is there any real overlap between a fuzz face and the Twosome?

Am I missing anything by getting a fuzz face without a bias knob?

Does the Dream Crusher do 'classic' fuzz face toanz?

Any other pedals I should be checking out?

the Fix'd Fuzz is a complete different animal. a fuzz face (with bias knob) gives you the broken sounds and also "singing" stuff. And also fuzzy drive with lower fuzz/gain levels. from classic to 8bit. maybe the Dirt Transmitter is also intressting for you :idk:

• Members

if you're going for authentic FF tones, there's a lot of options both germanium and silicon. the blue Dunlop JH-1 is great and I'd consider a Monsterpiece NPN, it's a variant that's awesome. the FF is kind of a tame/musical/soft/nice whatever you want to call it fuzz that cleans up nice on the volume knob, not that great for aggressive music imo. consider a Tonebender MKII if you want similar but more aggressive tones, the Throbak Stonebender is a good one, MJM Brit bender etc.

• Members

if you're going for authentic FF tones, there's a lot of options both germanium and silicon. the blue Dunlop JH-1 is great and I'd consider a Monsterpiece NPN, it's a variant that's awesome. the FF is kind of a
tame/musical/soft/nice
whatever you want to call it fuzz that cleans up nice on the volume knob, not that great for aggressive music imo. consider a Tonebender MKII if you want similar but more aggressive tones, the Throbak Stonebender is a good one, MJM Brit bender etc.

Yeah, that is not what I'm looking for at all. I would like some lower gain vintagey sounding {censored} from time to time, but I'm much more concerned with how well it destroys things.

I used to have a Tone Reaper (Tonebender mk3-ish right?) that I liked...I will check out some clips of the mk2 since it's been awhile since I looked at them.

Archived