AC-30 + Fuzz?

thom

• Members

Well? Also, the hotcake always turns up when people ask for distortion recommendations for their AC-30s...Anywhere I could find a clip that demonstrates why?

I'm actually leaning more towards getting a PV Classic30 right now, cause of the price tag (it'll just be a home amp thing) and the onboard dirt which is supposedly a bit smoother and gainy-er...

The ability to jive well with all sorts of dirt, and particularly fuzz, is pretty high up the list...

• Members

I really really didn't like most big muffs I've tried with my AC30 - little big muff was a scratchy joke, nyc big muff sounded like a vacuum cleaner, black russian sounded good on its own but couldn't get unity volume/ apparent "cut" in a band mix (though on its own you could hear how loud it was!), Green russian clone and bass big muff both work ok ish for warmer less biting tones but still sounded a bit crap in a band mix. The big muff with tone wicker was the best of the bunch, I stuck with that for about 6 months before I realised I just didn't really like the basic tone.

The mid scoop and need for headroom that muffs need just doesn't work for me with vox flavoured amps which are all about the midrange and chimey edge of breakup (little headroom) tones.

The fuzz face works better but gets a bit harsh when pushed hard.

My favourite distortion from an AC30 almost always comes from a clean boost or overdrive pushing the front end of the amp into its own crunch. Full range flatter overdrives tend to work better than mid boosted ones, although there's still a place for tubescreamers - just keep the amp gain up and pedal gain low or it gets a bit honky and uninspiring.

For standalone distortion, the Rat and rat based pedals work well. The OCD is another that gets a good sound because it's quite transparent and doesn't try to make the amp something it's not. Finally, the Crunch Box totally amazed me with its ability to turn the vox into a marshall style high gainer. At the cheaper end, the Boss OD-3 works really well.

All just my experience of course.

• Members

I really haven't found a fuzz the AC30 doesn't like. Big Muffs work very well, IMO. Octave fuzzes are nice too. Haven't really tried much in the way of Fuzz Faces, but I'd imagine it would be fine.

FWIW I run the Fuzz Face model on my M9 for most solo boosts, and the midrange push really sits nicely with the AC30s squishy sound thing. I likes.

• Members

I've been spending like a mad man...So there's a LSTS on it's way to me, and I'm jumping the first deal for a Crowher hotcake that comes my way. Also have a Swollen Pickle and a fuzzface, and ofcourse the old Ruetz'd rat.

I'm trying everything out later tonight, it'll my first proper test run at home...Psyched!:)

• Members

So far so good. I'll just have to clean out some pots, verry scratchy treble control that might need to be replaced.

Haven't tried any fuzz with it yet, just the Ruetz'd rat with the AC30 at the crunchiest setting I could get a fairly low volumes. Sounded amazing, even with my mij jazzmaster's faux strat pickups that normally tend to sound brittle and thin.

Anyone notice any improvement after a tube swap? I'd assume the stock chinese ones aren't the best...?

• Members

I really haven't found a fuzz the AC30 doesn't like.

This has been my experience as well. Dirt pedals I've tried with my AC30 include a Rat 2, Crowther Hotcake, Dallas Rangemaster, black Russian Big Muff, Prescription Electronics Experience, Vox Tonebender, BC108 Fuzz Face, Way Huge Swollen Pickle, Tonebender Mk. II, Colorsound Overdriver, Danelectro Daddy-O, Boss SD-1, Jordan Bosstone, and Shin-Ei Companion

As far as full on fuzz, my favorites were the Tonebenders and the Fuzz Face. The Rat 2 works great as a general purpose distortion. And the Hotcake seems to work best to my ears as a boost or light overdrive. A Fuzz Face stacked with either a Rangemaster or a Rat is killer.

• Members

I'll try my Swollen Pickle through tomorrow. Lstr: Stuck at the nazi Euro-customs:mad:

Shin-Ei: I wish:(

The closest I can come to Superfuzz/Shin-Ei tones is with my FZ-2. It'll have to do for now, I'll also give it a try through teh new map tomorrow.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

Update:

Dispite the mixed reviews online, I'm really like what I hear when using *any* dirt pedal through the AC30. Totally digging the LSTR, it's like a distortion-y muff, much more forgivingn, and it's easier to dial in usefull tones instead if just overly boomy or harsh ones. Cuts through a mix really well too, while still maintaining the famous bmp vibe.

Currently looking into my options of giving either of my amps a jtm45 tone, looking to try a distortron. I'll leave that for another thread though:wave:

• Members

I'd like to give the LSTR a whirl sometime. I love the Pharaoh, still. Every day I play it, I find some new way to set the fuzz, or to drive it with another dirt/boost pedal. Such a fantastic pedal. Would like to own all of the Black Arts pedals.

I think I'm going to try the new MXR Modified OD soon too. The clips are really nice, I use an AC15, seems like it should be a good match, probably the same for an AC30 too I would think.

Archived