OT: Conky - Other outdoors guys...

Ryan.

• Members

Looking for an all around good knife for camping/backpacking/fishing... anything you might suggest?

First overnight backpacking trip to Yosemite this year, stoked for it. Any other tools/toys to bring along? Already got bear kegs and backpacks and all that... what are some of the things you wish you had or had and loved?

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

i have a simple benchmade folding knife that i use for everything. they make fantastic knives. not the cheapest, but they're really good. i also make heavy use of a leatherman multi tool. if you're just going to get one thing, i recommend that and you'll thank me for it. particularly for fishing being as it has scissors and pliers on it.

always bring extra rope. 50 ft of parachute cord is compact and can be very handy. a compass that you know how to use and a good map. an extra light source and extra batteries. extra fire source. a whistle. a small backpacking shovel or trowel so that you can exercise proper {censored}ting in the woods technique and not just leave {censored} and toilet paper all over the place (i'm amazed at how much i see this).

when making your first aid kit, keep in mind that although you want a kit that can treat all kinds of things, blisters and small foot problems are the most common use of a backpacking first aid kit, and twisted or injured ankles and knees are far more common than serious cuts or burns or gunshot wounds or whatever. bring some ace bandages and possibly a knee brace, not just band aids and gauze.

• Members

Subs a good Case XX will never let you down. Just keep in mind that some don't lock. In fact I'm not sure if any do. The ones I've had and have don't. But the blades are fantastic and don't dull.

If they aren't what you want google stainless steel hardness ratings and read up on what is good for blade that won't dull easily. Or, go ceramic and drop some serious cash on a good SRG. You'll probably have it forever.

• Members

+1 on the rope and extra socks.

I always keep my leatherman tool on me. Get a used one from a pawn shop for like $20. The metal they use in the new ones is really brittle.

Moleskin is another great thing to have in your first aid kit. Blisters on your feet can really {censored} upa good hike.

I wear ladies foot stocking under my socks. The thin layer acts as another layer of skin to prevent blistering. Make sure you get good boots that fit right and break 'em in before the hike.

Oh, and it's debatable, but use sythetic clothing where possible. It dries a lot quicker and will keep you warmer on wet hikes.

• Members

If i had to choose just one knife the KaBar USMC is a solid contender. What are you going to be using it for? Chopping? Trail clearing? Zombie attacks? Firewood?

There are several million options here depending on the task.

I have a leatherman, so this would just be for a hip knife. Quick reach emergency situation, cutting rope, fighting the viet cong, defense, and simple fishing/cleaning...

Archived