Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT: Conky - Other outdoors guys...

Looking for an all around good knife for camping/backpacking/fishing... anything you might suggest?

First overnight backpacking trip to Yosemite this year, stoked for it. Any other tools/toys to bring along? Already got bear kegs and backpacks and all that... what are some of the things you wish you had or had and loved?

Thanks
    Originally Posted by Player99

No it is not repairable. You need to send the forum to me, and I will throw it away and sell you a new forum at full retail plus shipping. That is your only option.

Originally Posted by eco1

i just got fed up with my ****************ing neighbor and shot him a few minutes ago.

yep

Comment

I've had an Opinel for over 20 years and it's always been great. More trustworthy than a swiss army (they'll snap on you in a heartbeat) and looks ****************ing great too. In fact MOMA in New York included it in it's '100 best designed objects' exhibition.

good guys: english_bob, SG1, red_riviera, chisa, melx, Tayste_2000, tommyld (fuzzhugger), NetStar, bondini, Taylor704, HeartfeltDawn, garethdavies, Uncle Bastard, woolyh, Snufkino, THAT4301, Chugs, Matt0201, fruvai, Prince Squid, eerock, mr benn.

Comment

Get a Gerber or Leatherman!

Comment

i have a simple benchmade folding knife that i use for everything. they make fantastic knives. not the cheapest, but they're really good. i also make heavy use of a leatherman multi tool. if you're just going to get one thing, i recommend that and you'll thank me for it. particularly for fishing being as it has scissors and pliers on it.

always bring extra rope. 50 ft of parachute cord is compact and can be very handy. a compass that you know how to use and a good map. an extra light source and extra batteries. extra fire source. a whistle. a small backpacking shovel or trowel so that you can exercise proper ****************ting in the woods technique and not just leave **************** and toilet paper all over the place (i'm amazed at how much i see this).

when making your first aid kit, keep in mind that although you want a kit that can treat all kinds of things, blisters and small foot problems are the most common use of a backpacking first aid kit, and twisted or injured ankles and knees are far more common than serious cuts or burns or gunshot wounds or whatever. bring some ace bandages and possibly a knee brace, not just band aids and gauze.

Comment

How much are you looking to spend?

And as for other stuff, this can be as much of a blackhole as guitar gear if you want it to be (and don't forget a trowel).
            --------------------------------------
            Poppin' Fresh

"I can rock the mic to silence by John Cage,
            With the arty flavor, I shoot the gift like a party favor..."

Comment

spare socks
              huh

Originally Posted by misterstomach

I'm more concerned that people **************** their pants and cry when i play than i am that it sounds good.

Comment

spare socks

always.
                Originally Posted by Naterel "All bands suck period"

Comment

always.

Word.
                  Originally Posted by Player99

No it is not repairable. You need to send the forum to me, and I will throw it away and sell you a new forum at full retail plus shipping. That is your only option.

Originally Posted by eco1

i just got fed up with my ****************ing neighbor and shot him a few minutes ago.

Comment

Subs a good Case XX will never let you down. Just keep in mind that some don't lock. In fact I'm not sure if any do. The ones I've had and have don't. But the blades are fantastic and don't dull.

If they aren't what you want google stainless steel hardness ratings and read up on what is good for blade that won't dull easily. Or, go ceramic and drop some serious cash on a good SRG. You'll probably have it forever.

Comment

Comment

+1 on the rope and extra socks.

I always keep my leatherman tool on me. Get a used one from a pawn shop for like $20. The metal they use in the new ones is really brittle.

Moleskin is another great thing to have in your first aid kit. Blisters on your feet can really **************** upa good hike.

I wear ladies foot stocking under my socks. The thin layer acts as another layer of skin to prevent blistering. Make sure you get good boots that fit right and break 'em in before the hike.

Oh, and it's debatable, but use sythetic clothing where possible. It dries a lot quicker and will keep you warmer on wet hikes.
                        Don't Sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things

Comment

A small lazer pointer will come in handy Subs. Wait till dark and you guys are sitting around. You'll be glad you have it. Also, toilet paper. Duh.

Comment

Also, free wi-fi. Better safe than sorry.
                            Smooth deals with: duncan, the_bleeding, MrSandMan, 6StrngStrangler, mmmmmchina, gproud, Onehourlater, driverhasabomb, bluehuricane, melx, TheErosion, gschmittling, BrianPhase90, roaring20's, ibentmywookieFender Custom Shop '52 TelecasterGibson 2013 SG StandardFender Deville III 4x10Oh Henry! chocolate barsPedals n' stuffhttp://bearflagbearflagbearflag.bandcamp.com

Comment

Also, free wi-fi. Better safe than sorry.

Exactly. How can you go camping without bringing all of us with you?

Comment

Working...
                              X