opinions on the fender concert II amp?

• Members

theres one for sale locally. $550 deal or no deal?

I read internet rumors its higher gain sound isn't so hot.

same rumors say its cleans are very nice. I'm only after a clean sound.

I'm currently looking for a nice clean amp in that price range, other suggestions welcomed.

I guess a princeton reverb would be my first choice, as for the sound I'm looking for.

not in a rush to buy. I can wait for a better deal.

A few minor corrections:

They never used the "II" designation, although they were part of the "II Series" amp line.

They weren't designed by Paul Rivera (Fender's head of marketing at the time), but specified by him - the actual design was done by Ed Jahns.

Yes, they are a 4x10 amp. 60W RMS. No tremolo, but they do have channel switching. Solid State rectification. Built from about 1982 until Fender was sold in 1985, although remaining stock was sold by Fender & their dealers for another year or two beyond that. IMHO, they're excellent sounding amps.

• Members

A few minor corrections:

They never used the "II" designation, although they were part of the "II Series" amp line.

They weren't
designed
by Paul Rivera (Fender's head of marketing at the time), but
specified
by him - the actual design was done by Ed Jahns.

Yes, they are a 4x10 amp. 60W RMS. No tremolo, but they do have channel switching. Solid State rectification. Built from about 1982 until Fender was sold in 1985, although remaining stock was sold by Fender & their dealers for another year or two beyond that. IMHO, they're excellent sounding amps.

:thu:

• Members

I have a Concert II 1x12. Got it off of CL for $425. Its my main amp. It can be a lil tricky to dial in a good tone. It takes pedals nicely. I use a bad monkey, Rat or big muff infront for my tones. I also jumped the fx loop for the xtra gain stage.

There's a huge thread on TGP for mods, I never modded mine other than some SED tubes and threw an Eminence RWB in there. I really dig mine....

I used it on this song:

[video=youtube;QTrQlc9rNbw]

• Members

A few minor corrections:

They weren't
designed
by Paul Rivera (Fender's head of marketing at the time), but
specified
by him - the actual design was done by Ed Jahns.

Yes, they are a 4x10 amp
. 60W RMS. No tremolo, but they do have channel switching. Solid State rectification. Built from about 1982 until Fender was sold in 1985, although remaining stock was sold by Fender & their dealers for another year or two beyond that. IMHO, they're excellent sounding amps.

How do they sound compared to a Super Reverb?

How do they sound compared to a Super Reverb?

Somewhat similar... but again, they have a solid state rectifier (the Super is tube) and put out 60W vs 45W. They have the lead channel - more similar to a Boogie (cascaded gain stages) than the Super, and unlike the Super, the 80s era Concert has no tremolo. Also, as Chad said, you could get them in a 1x12 version too.

• Members

I would jump on that. Specially since its 2x10. The speakers in that pic are not original, so you may find yourself replacing them with something to match your tone. When I plug mine into my Mesa 4x12, it sounds awesome! I suggest jumping the fx loop with a patch chord to get the extra gain stage.

Why is the channel/verb pedal plugged into the inputs in that pic?:confused::facepalm::freak:

• Members

I would jump on that. Specially since its 2x10. The speakers in that pic are not original, so you may find yourself replacing them with something to match your tone. When I plug mine into my Mesa 4x12, it sounds awesome! I suggest jumping the fx loop with a patch chord to get the extra gain stage.

Why is the channel/verb pedal plugged into the inputs in that pic?
:confused::facepalm::freak:

yeah I laughed at that picture as well. one orginal speaker one replacement. I'm going call this guy.

• Members

ask him if it's been "chopped", I've never seen a 2x10 Concert II, not saying they don't exist, but it may be a bargaining chip.

I just talked to him. He's firm on the price. He said that its the way he bought it two years ago. They weren't available with the two, so it must be "customized" as he put it. Some tubes replaced. one original Fender speaker and one Eminnence replacement. its very clean, very solid, great clean.... blah blah... knew a lot about the amp. basically everything said here and what I've read else where. But he's got it in a garage and I'm going to go play it. AND if I buy He'll give me a ride home so I don't have to lug this amp on the T. pretty nice guy, said the amp might be too much for me as it was for him and the guy that he bought it from. So... he's got a fender lead for me to try it on... I may have new amp in a couple days if all goes well...

• Members

I just talked to him. He's firm on the price. He said that its the way he bought it two years ago. They weren't available with the two, so it must be "customized" as he put it. Some tubes replaced. one original Fender speaker and one Eminnence replacement. its very clean, very solid, great clean.... blah blah... knew a lot about the amp. basically everything said here and what I've read else where. But he's got it in a garage and I'm going to go play it. AND if I buy He'll give me a ride home so I don't have to lug this amp on the T. pretty nice guy, said the amp might be too much for me as it was for him and the guy that he bought it from. So... he's got a fender lead for me to try it on... I may have new amp in a couple days if all goes well...

so it has been chopped, I'd pass , even for $350.00 I'd have a hard time hitting it.

Actually, you could get them with a 2x10 cabinet - they're just less common than the 1x12 and 4x10 versions. If it's a non-chop 2x10, in decent condition and fully functional, I'd say "Hit."

• Members

Actually, you could get them with a 2x10 cabinet - they're just less common than the 1x12 and 4x10 versions. If it's a non-chop 2x10, in decent condition and fully functional, I'd say "Hit."

Oh, actually "hit" coming from you is pretty encouraging I have to say. I've been doing a lot of reading up on these. I read some post on some random forum about a 2x4 concert being $550. so, this price seems pretty on par. There's a video of one with "Dumble" mods sounds pretty excellent actually. not sure if I'd mod it, speaker and tube changes is really all I'd like to do (if needed).

Archived