Check out my bands newest album (Indie Rock, Post Rock)

Casval

• Members

Did you ever walk down the street and some clown shoe mother {censored}er hands you his bands CD? Nine times out of ten you dont even {censored}ing take it. Why? If you happen to be blindsided enough to actually take it what do you do with it? Do you just toss it or do you actually put it in your stereo and give it a shot? That clown who is randomly giving his {censored} away is actually one step above giving your music away on the internet to a bunch of random folks on a forum. At least at some point that guy had to actually make eye contact with you.

• Members
shoe mother {censored}er shoe mother {censored}er shoe mother {censored}er some clown shoe mother {censored}er hands shoe mother {censored}er? shoe mother {censored}er shoe mother {censored}er. shoe mother {censored}er? shoe mother {censored}er? shoe mother {censored}er? shoe mother {censored}er shoe mother {censored}er shoe mother {censored}er shoe mother {censored}er shoe mother {censored}er shoe mother {censored}er. shoe mother {censored}er shoe mother {censored}er shoe mother {censored}er.

:)

• Members

If people want to get it for free, it's very easy to find virtually anything online (pardon the pun).

I try not to tell other folks what to do with their music, but I agree that it hurts us all. However, there is no going back, and the savvy musician will find a way to make it work for them. We do have a vinyl deal with a label, a reasonably-priced bandcamp download, and physical CDs for tour. That's just how we do it. It helps to have a mix, I think. We also have a Euro version of our EP coming out in a few months. To me, physical releases are like the menu and the show is the meal. I don't realistically expect to make any significant money off of record sales, but it helps to promote shows when a label can work with you.

I did like the clown shoe mother {censored}er bit.

• Members

I don't see a problem with giving away digital copies of an album for free. I understand to a point what Christian is saying that it hurts musicians in general, setting a precedent and all that, but like you said the cat's already out of the bag on that one. You can't go back to a time before free or name-your-price music so, it is what it is.

The way I see it, I'll happily pay money for a physical copy of an album (especially if there's something unique/interesting about the disc/packaging), a shirt, a show ticket, and so on. I'm not as happy when paying for 1s and 0s. I'll do it (if the band is particularly good, if I've had some personal interaction with them and want to support them, etc) but I don't really feel like I'm getting much for my money.

For that reason I don't personally feel justified in demanding payment for digital copies. My band is recording our first full length and once it's done we plan to put it up on bandcamp for a name-your-price as well. If someone wants to donate, fine. If they just want to listen (more likely), also fine. That said we also plan to do a limited run of physical copies with hand-made diy artwork. That way people who do purchase the record get something special for their money. But either way I'd rather as many people as possible listen to the music than to make sure I get payed every time someone wants to listen to what I wrote.

And no SAL, I don't think that giving away music online is worse than clown-shoed mother{censored}ers handing out cds on the sidewalk. For a number of reasons.

• Members

I don't see a problem with giving away digital copies of an album for free. I understand to a point what Christian is saying that it hurts musicians in general, setting a precedent and all that, but like you said the cat's already out of the bag on that one. You can't go back to a time before free or name-your-price music so, it is what it is.

The way I see it, I'll happily pay money for a physical copy of an album (especially if there's something unique/interesting about the disc/packaging), a shirt, a show ticket, and so on. I'm not as happy when paying for 1s and 0s. I'll do it (if the band is particularly good, if I've had some personal interaction with them and want to support them, etc) but I don't really feel like I'm getting much for my money.

For that reason I don't personally feel justified in demanding payment for digital copies. My band is recording our first full length and once it's done we plan to put it up on bandcamp for a name-your-price as well. If someone wants to donate, fine. If they just want to listen (more likely), also fine. That said we also plan to do a limited run of physical copies with hand-made diy artwork. That way people who do purchase the record get something special for their money. But either way I'd rather as many people as possible listen to the music than to make sure I get payed every time someone wants to listen to what I wrote.

And no SAL, I don't think that giving away music online is worse than clown-shoed mother{censored}ers handing out cds on the sidewalk. For a number of reasons.

I agree 100%. I made a special run of handmade copies for the people who want a physical copy. I don't like the idea of forcing people to pay for 1's and 0's, if they want to donate / name your price that's awesome.

• Members

Wow a little over the top much? Last time I checked I'm not forcing or bugging anyone to come into this thread and listen to or download my music. That's their own choice.

thanks!

I agree 100%. I made a special run of handmade copies for the people who want a physical copy. I don't like the idea of forcing people to pay for 1's and 0's, if they want to donate / name your price that's awesome.

You're new. Nevermind SAL, he's kinda...emmm 'passionate' about every little opinion he has. I sorta dig that, not even being sarcastic. But I'm not new here anymore, that helps I guess.

It's a lost battle, it's too late to protest against free music impo, so why bother.

On topic: The songs aren't bad, but they might get really good with the right singer. Not the sort of sound/vibe that works for instrumental stuff impo, it's too much "straight forward middle of the road rock" for that, not much going on besides predictable chord progressions. And tell yer drummer he'll be replaced by a drum machine if he doesn't step up his game.

Also, don't take the visual part of your record too mightly. You might think the gameboy pick is arty/diy, but it's just a wasted opportunity for a really cool/badass/beatifull photo or drawing or whatever....

Semi-drunk at the moment, sorry for being brutally honest. I really like a lot of the melodies, you're basicly just missing a singer impo.

• 5 months later...

Archived