80's effect pedals- are they worth it?

emtoth

• Members

I have a Vesta Fire SCH stereo chorus and was thinking about selling it. Are the newer Chorus pedals worth taking a look at or should i just keep this?[ATTACH=CONFIG]342615[/ATTACH]

I have it for sale on crapbay but am really thinking about keeping it.

• Members

It just so happens I got an '80s Boss CE-2 today. No frills great warm sounding chorus, and can still be had for $100ish if you look around.

Mine's MIJ, but a little research learned me that there's little -if any- difference between the korean CE-2s from same era. The myth about different screws/labels is even more BS. But it means that thanks to the internet hype nonsense, the less popular korean CE-2 with the "wrong" color screws/label can easily be had for less than $100...

• Members
It just so happens I got an '80s Boss RC-2 today. No frills great warm sounding chorus, and can still be had for $100ish if you look around.

Mine's MIJ, but a little research learned me that there's little -if any- difference between the korean RC2s from same era. The myth about different screws/labels is even more BS. But it means that thanks to the internet hype nonsense, the less popular korean RC-2 with the "wrong" color screws/label can easily be had for less than $100...

wut? boss had an rc-2 chorus?? :confused: rc-2 is a looper. you mean CE-2, as evidenced by your NPD thread :)

• Members

ha, thats one of my favorite choruses! for the blend and vibrato alone its great! i have a few vesta fire dealyos and i loved them all!

man, we used to talk about 80s pedals all the time, and now "are they worth it?" times have changed...

the sound of the main riff is the vesta fire into a lofi loop junky. it can get really swoozy...

• Members

my ce-2 is definately worth it

002xgo.jpg

Still my all-time favorite mono chorus, but too much of a tone sucker for an everyday pedalboard. I still use CE-2's for recording.

80's pedals can be really cool, but also impractical, occasionally noisy and often falling apart.

Analogman makes a killer chorus, but kind of pricey.

• Members

there are many pedals from the 80's that are worth it. many. and many that suck.

if the pedal gives you the sound you want keep it, if it doesn't flip it.

This.

Old plastic chorus pedals and the like (Arion, Yamaha etc) are often as good as any other, and often cheap.

Otherwise, I'm a huge fan of old Boss pedals, and wouldn't mind trying some old EHX stuff too if I had the money. The DD-2 is my favourite delay, I'd like a DM-2, I have an MIJ BF-2, HM-2... :love:

• Members

Ya- no one snagged it- so I am just going to put it on a shelf and keep it! The main thing that I do not like about the older pedals I have used is that when switched off they suck. I dont know if it is a crappy buffer? I will have to get one of those fancy hard bypass loop pedals!

Archived