Deluxe Reverb question

goodhonk

• Members

just picked up a heavily modded deluxe reverb, PO didn't know much about it.

what can you tell me about it, if anything, without pulling the chasis?

has a giant speaker in there, amp weighs as much as my twin reverb.

there's no tube in the first socket, is that the rectifier?

there's a knob on the back, not sure what it does, turning it doesn't seem to do anything, maybe a volume for speaker out?

the intensity on the trem acts as sort of a master volume too. :confused: vibrato doesn't seem to be operational.

it plays and sounds really good. :idk:

got it for $480, thanks to my puerto rican buddy renula.

IMGP0886.jpg

IMGP0895.jpg

IMGP0890.jpg

IMGP0889.jpg

IMGP0891.jpg

• Members

Alot of these mods can be read about here.

http://fenderguru.com/amps/deluxe-reverb

looks like the knob on the back could be a mids control?

The intensity knob looks to have been modded to take the trem completely out of the circuit. If you turn it all the way ccw does it "click" off (is it an spst pot?) and is there a boost in volume? if so that's what has been done.

• Members

Wow. That does look heavily modded. There really isn't much to tell without pulling the chassis.

That speaker is an Electro-Voice EVM-12L. Way overrated for that amp.

That slot on the far left is indeed for the rectifier. DRs came stock with a GZ34/5AR4 in that position. I'm assuming someone wired up a SS rectifier inside the chassis.

DRs run 6V6 tubes in the power section and your amp has 6L6s. To successfully do this, someone probably changed the bias pot to get the 6L6s to bias properly. Also, the rectification was changed to enable this mod. The stock power transformer doesn't provide enough heater current for 6L6s, but the change to a SS rectifier ups the heater current capacity.

The tremolo only works with a footswich plugged in. But, considering that the Intensity control works as a Master Volume, the tremolo is probably disabled.

• Members

Alot of these mods can be read about here.

looks like the knob on the back could be a mids control?

The intensity knob looks to have been modded to take the trem completely out of the circuit. If you turn it all the way ccw does it "click" off (is it an spst pot?) and is there a boost in volume? if so that's what has been done.

it doesn't click, but it cuts volume completely. kinda tapers off, after about 9:00 the volume stays the same.

• Members

yeah that thing has been hacked, no rectifier tube, 6L6 power tubes, EV 12L speaker

if it sounds good a decent price but not really a deluxe reverb any more
:cry:

electro voice speaker? thing is ridiculously heavy.

i forget, the deluxe reverb usually has 6v6? are they the interchangealbe?

• Members

Wow. That does look heavily modded. There really isn't much to tell without pulling the chassis.

That speaker is an Electro-Voice EVM-12L. Way overrated for that amp.

That slot on the far left is indeed for the rectifier. DRs came stock with a GZ34/5AR4 in that position. I'm assuming someone wired up a SS rectifier inside the chassis.

DRs run 6V6 tubes in the power section and your amp has 6L6s. To successfully do this, someone probably changed the bias pot to get the 6L6s to bias properly. Also, the rectification was changed to enable this mod. The stock power transformer doesn't provide enough heater current for 6L6s, but the change to a SS rectifier ups the heater current capacity.

The tremolo only works with a footswich plugged in. But, considering that the Intensity control works as a Master Volume, the tremolo is probably disabled.

thanks for the info. i tried the footswitch from my twin and the reverb worked with it, but still not trem, so you are probably correct. i could pull the chasis later if you guys are interested in seeing it.

• Members

yeah the power and output transformer have been swapped out for diff ones it looks honk.

there's really not a shred of deluxe reverb left to it except the cab/faceplate heheh.

you didn't get completely ripped off but being that pieced together doesnt help the value.

The speaker is worth at least $100 tho easy.

• Members

I'd seek out a Fender amp guru and get his opinion. the EV12L will add a ton of weight, that's for sure. the PT may have been upped to a bigger model, you may have a 50w or 100w amp there. for what it's worth an amp tech I know has a sf Princeton that he put a Twin Reverb transformer in, a 150w Celestion Sidewinder and it's an absolutely killer amp. he's a monster player and has the best tone I've ever heard. I'd play the thing for while before I jumped on de-modding it, you may have a gem there. congrats

• Members

the transformers look like the originals (just had a look in the back of my silverface dr)

wouldn't worry about the vibrato (tremolo). it's nice sounding but has a volume drop assuming it's like mine.

i'd see about getting the mods reversed, might not be a huge job if you take it to the right place. there's tons of parts and info out there for deluxe reverbs.

definitely shouldn't weigh as much as a twin, obviously the speaker is super heavy. should be just over 40 Lbs with a jensen type speaker.

happy new silverface deluxe reverb btw! love mine!

also, there should be a serial number stamped on the metal chassis on the right hand side of the back if you want to date it.

Archived